icon

Ground loop isolator? Yes or no

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigboi11 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
I've been hearing local places tell me that a ground loop isolator will fix my problem as far as the alternator wine.  Will it take away from the overall sound of my system.
Ocuriel 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
I would try to figure out the source of the whine & then fix the problem instead of using a ground loop isolator. I beleive it does affect the sound in a negetive way, but can't be certain as I only experimented with a ground loop isolator once. What kind of set up do you have & how is it wired. Are your rca cables running on the same side as your power cables?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
There is no clear cut answer to this question, as we cannot tell you if the noise is entering through your RCAs or if it is in the HU, or amps, or antenna... we need a little more information, to make a educated guess. If you remove the RCA from the amp, is the noise still there? If yes, then NO, a GLI will NOT solve your problem. If you remove the RCA from the head unit, and install shorting plugs, is the noise still there? If yes, then maybe, a GLI might solve your problem. Does the noise change volume with the headunit volume? If yes, then NO, a GLI will not solve your problem. Where is your power cable in relationship to your RCA cables? Is the noise in the wole system or just one set of drivers? If the highs are runing off deck power, and there is noise in them, NO, a GLI will not solve your problem.
Also, yes, a GLI WILL add some additional resistance to the RCA path, lowering total output, and your high frequencies will be attenuated more than the rest of the frquencies in the system, due to the additional inductance of the transformer in the GLI. It is something to know also, a GLI is a band-aid and should only be used as a last resort, BECAUSE of the bad things it can do to your audio path.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
bigboi11 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  

If I remove the rca's from the amp the noise stops.  I ran my power on one side and the rca's on the other side they do come kind of close together at the amps but thats it.  I don't know what shorting plugs are.  The noise does not change with the volume cause when i turn the volume up I can't hear it over the rest of the system.  The noise is only coming from the amp I have hooked to my mids and tweets, it may be coming from the subs to but the freq is to high to hear from the subs.  There is a slight noise coming from the sub but you can only hear it in complete silence or when it turn on my head lights it makes a quick burp.  I'm trying to isolate the problem without replacing the amp and the HU.  How do i use a DMM to check ground resitance.  I was afraid that the isolators wouldn't really be fixing the problem.

Wiseguy 
Copper - Posts: 159
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Also, yes, a GLI WILL add some additional resistance to the RCA path, lowering total output, and your high frequencies will be attenuated more than the rest of the frquencies in the system, due to the additional inductance of the transformer in the GLI. It is something to know also, a GLI is a band-aid and should only be used as a last resort, BECAUSE of the bad things it can do to your audio path.

very true... the ground loop isolators like the ones you buy at like CC or Bestbuy are crap, i use some good old western electric transformers, very wide bandwith and have no effect on the sound and got rid of all my alternator noise that i couldnt solve with the big3 (it does help with some noise).

Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
WILDER 6.5" Pro-Audio Drivers
Custom Pre-amp
bigboi11 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
I got some pac GLI's and they worked perfect and they didn't take anything away from the sound.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic