icon

How to install Pioneer's AVIC-N1

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bstylz 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
Hi was wondering if there was anyone on this forum who can help me on installing this system. Does the Nav hideaway unit have to be connected in order for the head unit to turn on? Me and a friend are trying to install this system ourselves. He knows how to install car stereos, but this system is pretty hi-tech, lots of wires involved. What wires go to what? I was told by the one I bought this system fm that the head unit cannot operated independent fm the navi, which is the brain of the whole system. He says that two black wires (Ground) have to be connected, ACC and MEM wires, along with the Brake and Navi. Can anyone one here tell me exactly where each wire goes, wiring diagrams, etc...cuz the instructions that came with this system are not detailed enough. It doesn't even say that Navi has to be connected in order for the head unit to turn on. My friend tried connecting directly to the battery and got nothing but the anti-theft detterent blinking red light, pressing buttons did not turn it on and also the screen didn't come out. We also had it tested apart fm the navi at a local car stereo outlet ( who also happens to sell the same units). They told my friend that the head unit is defective, but when they tested it it was without the navi connected, which the one I bought it from told me could not turn on without it. Can anybody help me?
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
Listen man, with a unit like that you sound way over your head, and if the unit needed to be connected to the navigation system to work dont you think that the shop you took it to would know that and hook it up to a navigation unit in the store. I mean if they sell them they should know this. For what its worth I think you do need to hook up the navi box for it to work but I am not sure. I know there are members on here that have this unit and will be able to tell you for sure. If the shop was reputable then I would guess the unit has been tested properly and is indeed faulty. If they arent a reputable shop they may have been feeding you lines to try to get you to buy a new one. I think you might want to check into getting it installed by a pro since its a lot more complicated than a simple deck install in a 92 tempo. Granted I dont know your friend and he might be very capable of doing this. If you are confident in him then by all means try, but thats and expensive unit to make a mistake about.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
00tahoez71 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
I just bought one of these units last night and was testing it at my hous through a 12v hookup that I have. I realized that the brain must be plugged into the head unit in order for everything to turn on. Apparently, all the information, other than the gps, still lies in the brain unit. Plug the brain unit in with the supplied 30 pin (I think), thick black cable, hook up the ground to a negative, and twist (constant) and red (acc) together to the positive. It will than turn on.
Hope this helps.
Zach
bstylz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks yall so far for the input, esp to Zach. I was hoping to hear that it was becuz of the navi not being connected that the head unit didn't turn on. Now I can't wait to get to work. Hey, Zach wat wires did you connect? Did you also put 2 ground wires together as one? I had to send this back to the one I bought it from and he said after hooking these two wires up along with the rest of the wires like ACC, MEM, Brake, and Navi the thing worked 100 percent. I was trying to get a replacement after having it tested at a car stereo outlet. My friend knows the people there and they fed him lines I think so that he would buy another one from them, saying that the head unit was dead and that it could turn on without the navi connected. Anyways thanks and just can't wait to see this thing come on...it da bomb!

00tahoez71 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
If you look at the main wiring harness, there is a black wire which is the ground. Just hook this up to the negative ground on your current wiring harness in your car. I tested this at my house with 12v source. when I got it up and running, the gps was not corect and wouldn't load any of the info of where I was. I think this was due to not all of the cables being wired up but I'm not sure. Just connect navi box to deck, Twist yellow and red together and put to positive. Connect ground (black) to negative, nad it will boot up. Any more questions just ask.
bstylz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

So two ground wires do not go together then? What are the two that have to go together besides yellow and red? I ordered a wiring harness fm Cruthcfield specifically for my car,  an Acura Integra GSR so that we would not hv to cut into the factory wiring. There is a lot of wiring to be done besides ground, acc, batt, etc...etc...like speed and brake. A wiring diagram would help or what wires go to wat summary. All my friend did to test this puppy was to connect directly to the battery after he had connected all wires fm the head unit to wiring harness. Usually when connecting car stereos u hear or see something, we saw only red blinking light on head unit, pressed buttons and nothing came on we concluded the unit was dead, but after sending the thing back to seller he said that it worked fine. We just didn't connect the wires right and navi also had to be hooked up. Yes, we will post further questions as we go along thx again.

ODLeon 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 5:50 AM / IP Logged  
red and yellow dont go together permantly, just to test the unit. red is your acc wire, yellow is constant. you should of went to circuit city or best buy for your harness. wait till you have it to hook up the unit. the brain actually contains the radio tuner and the preformace gauge gyros. on the bakck of the HU, you have your regular harness, just hook up colors together. if you want to bypass the dvd safety feature(cant play dvds while driving), just take all your black wires and the green one that says parking brake, and connect to the ground wire onf the harness.
ODLeon 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 5:52 AM / IP Logged  
also, i think the brain has to be hooked up for the theft mode to turn off.
meltingplastic 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
yes the brain has to be connected for it to turn on..   theres more used in the brain that you would think..   these units are basically like a regular radio except u need to ground the 2 wires.. i suggest puttin the green wire on a switch so that just in case u dont wanna get in trouble for watchin a movie while driving....   also.. you dont nec have to hook up the VSS wire... but it is suggested...   what kind of car are u installing this in.. that way i can tell you what color you need to tap into.. but meter it out first(should show between 5 and 12 volts varied by speed NOT rpm). The reverse light wire only has to be hooked up if you want the backup cam to turn on automatically..   other than that.. its a standard head unit install... if you have any other qs ask...
-Mike
Driving a Bagged, Caddied 02 s10
bstylz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2004 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
I am installing this unit in my 96 Acura Integra GSR and the thing works!!! Connected the two blk ground wires, red and yellow to harness. Now there is another problem - CLEARANCE. This head unit's lcd pops out and is being blocked by improper clearance. Wondering where to get around this. I can still hear the motor buzzing when it hits against the console due to no clearance. We hv thot of ways to get around this but seems a mount is a better solution, but don't know where to find one. Does anyone on this board have any solutions? It is a Acura Integra GSR mated with Pioneer's AVIC-N1.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic