icon

1991 Prelude/stock-aftermarket

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

I'm installing a system for a co-worker and we haven't bought anything yet. He wants cleaner sound that can be turned up once and awhile, he said he wouldn't mind a little bass too. To bad for him, he only wants to spend $500. He mostly listens to sports radio, but he says he would play more music if the stereo sounded better.

The Honda radio isn't that bad, but I don't believe it plays CDs and I'm sure any aftermarket HU would put it to shame these days.

The front's are 6.5" and rear is 4"

My plan already is to replace the HU, maybe a Pioneer DEH-???? since they are bang for the buck and usually sound ok for the money, $150 will buy you a decent HU. I don't even want to screw with the 4 inch rears, I'll disconnect those and call it a day. I want to replace the door speakers with some component speakers or just buy 6.5"s and add tweeters, these fronts will be powered ofcourse, maybe 50x2 or something. I'm hoping I can set the gains to 100Hz HP or close enough to get a little bass response form those doors.

Depending on the budget, I'd like to install a 4 channel amp and use 3 & 4 bridged to sub(s), even if the bass is added later, it might be a better investment to run 4 awg now and have it there. I can make an MDF box and use most any sub, what would work well in a '91 prelude?

I think if I focus on quality over quantity, this car will sound good wherever we end up with it. I also suggested he look for a good lot of used gear for $500. I just love doing systems, anyone have any particular suggestions for this vehicle?

wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
try going to www.etronics.com  this place has ok stuff for cheap you can get almost all brands, you can purchase an adapter for the 4" rears to a 6 1/2 just look up some speaker adapters, I would go with 1 alpine type s, or r 12 in the rear in a ported box, kenwood excelon hu, and kenwood 6 1/2 in front and rear this will make him happy
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks, that's a great site.

I was just thinking the same thing about the rear's too. there must be a way to fit something bigger in there, 4" is just a joke for the rear deck.

matching brand/model 6.5"s all around with a 4 channel amp and decent HU would do the trick. This could easilly fit the $500 budget too.  

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic