Reinstalling Avantguard4 need help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crestgel 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
Need help guys
I have a V6 Honda Accord Coupe EX trim. I had a Clifford Avantguard 4 installed about a year ago but the installation is real bad. Wiring is a mess; brain is right under my dash things act up. I want to reinstall it myself.
I need the help with the wiring diagrams for my car. I was told that there is a lot of information even a guide just for my car on www.directechs.com if someone with access can look it up for me it will be greatly appreciated.
I’m thinking about using a bulldog harness to make it easier.
Where Can I go to gat a new complete Avantguard 4 harness?
Some things that is wrong with my alarm leading me to wan to rewire it myself.
1)When my lights turn on automatically when it gets dark, I smell a melting plastic smell. Goes away if I then manually turn the lights on. I track this doen to some diodes that are getting really hot.
2)Auto start stopped working along with my car doors locking at a set RPM. I think it is a ground. ( I have tried reprogramming the alarm)
3)The wiring is a mess with loose connections.
crestgel 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
V6 Honda Accord Coupe EX trim 2002
Slickb 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
Intelliguard IV alarms seemed to have bugs...if they didn't work properly the first time they were installed they NEVER do.  I personally would scrap especially if they never installed the wireless immoblizer. Thats really the only thing that made the Avantguard IV a good system.
crestgel 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
They did not install the wireless immobilizer. I want to do that too. sigh
OmarR 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

SLICKB wrote:
Intelliguard IV alarms seemed to have bugs...if they didn't work properly the first time they were installed they NEVER do.  I personally would scrap especially if they never installed the wireless immoblizer. Thats really the only thing that made the Avantguard IV a good system.

The answer to combating a piss poor installation is not always throwing the alarm away, ESPECIALLY when it's an AG4. If the install included poor and loose connections, exposed wires that caused fuses to blow, then a better install is definitely the answer, pending nothing has been fried. But to say that it will NEVER work again, or work properly again, is completely false. And you can buy the WI off of Ebay, and add it on yourself.

If i acquired a car with a complete AG4 system, but the install was shoddy, i would not hesitate to pull it out, and install it again the way it should of been installed. Sure, a new wiring harness would be nice, but you may be SOL on that one. Extending the wires properly (solder and thicker gauge, if necessary) might be your answer.

crestgel 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replay OmarR
Anyone help is greatly appreciated guys.
cosmoworks 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
1) The previous installer probably used diodes to isolate the headlights from each other powering them through the diodes. They're probably not rated to the wattage that your headlights are. Just replace them with some relays and you should be good to go.
2) Check the rpm signal wire. It's used for both rpm controlled locks and remote start. Might be disconnected or grounded out.
But I agree with the rest.... If the install isn't good enough to make dad proud, then go to town on a re-install.
scirocco16v 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  

The diodes that are getting hot are for the partking lights and for that car they do not need to be on there.  These diodes work fine for a flashing light situation but genarate too much resistance for constant use.They are on the brown wire from the alarm.  There should not be any diodes on that car for the headlights.  By the way a correctly installed ag4 is the best alarm that you will ever buy, past or present.  Installed correctly they are flawless, the install makes all the difference.

Jeremy 

crestgel 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
Jeremy, I think you are right from what I remember the last time I was under there, the colors and diodes were for the parking lights. Can you help me with the other things. An installation guide or just let me pick your brain.
I'm taking out the diodes on my reinstall.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic