icon

Eclipse Titanium Surround

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
my buddy had an Eclipse Titanium 12, that the surround busted today, he has it running off of a 1200 watt Audiobahn amp, does anyone know why out of no where it would do this? He has had it for about a year and a half, and has never had a problem until now.... any ideas?
Duke Duke
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  

Incredible distortion possibly? Cold weather and cranking it maybe?, major abuse maybe? Or just sub failure.  Its hard to say truthfully

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
spootydlux4 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
did he have it firing into the back of or under a seat? cuz i busted the surround on my alpine becuz its excursion was bitting into the carpet and it eventually wore it down to the point where it ripped.
blah blah blah blah
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
No, he had it facing the back, he has a Tahoe, and it was facing the back door. It sounded good, no to low distortion. It was in the high 20's, last night however it was decent today, maybe 50's, so he does crank it up, but I am not sure that is why, I live in Tennessee, it doesn't get that cold. But he has had it now for a year and a half, and I figured it would have happened sooner than now... I dunno, it might have been sub failure, however, I don't know how that would rip the surround all the way around...
Duke Duke
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
I've heard of this happening on another Eclipse sub (not that it has to do with Eclipse's quality because it is great), where the surround came all the way off. I'm pretty sure the sub was being pretty underpowered. That might be the case with that Audiobahn amp. Distortion isn't that easy to hear, so I suggest if he gets a new sub, to set the gains with a dmm to make sure he isn't making the amp distort.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
btw - Duke, at a certain volume you stop being able to hear distortion.
Did he have any bass boost on? Is it in a ported enclosure with no subsonic filter?
Anyway... my bet is that he was just pushing the sub past its comfortable xmax by any one of a range of questionably not-smart behavior. :-/
Those subs are built tough, but abuse + many watts = buh bye Mr. Sub.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic