icon

13W6 nightmare

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
04mdx4sq 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2004 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  

How long did you let the woofer play? My 12W6v2 sounded terrible for the first week, to the point where I was considering changing woofers. After breaking in, they sounded completely different.

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2004 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
I hate JL, they have always messed up on their sheets. I can't even tell you how many times i've heard cases just like this one. A word of advice to JL: Publish the right sizes please. You run us through the roof on your products, don't run us through the roof on buying extra materials.

I'm sticking with Adire Subs, Brahma for life.

Anthony
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, you should probably end up designing the box on your own. i have a 12w6v2 and threw it in a box with their dimensions and it sounded pretty bad, then i put it in a ported that i designed myself, and it sounded beautiful. it will also probably need some loving as their foam surround need to be broken in a bit.
tomos 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
uthinkuknoaudio.. I don't agree. You have always been a bit down on JL because of your cheaper superior subs (in your opinion) but I think that was a bit of an unfair statement (in my opinion) With everything manufactured and made in-house I think they'd print the right box recommendations. How many times have you heard a case like this one? I know people with W6s who built their own boxes and in prefab. No problems.
What's that flippie??
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
Well tomos the deal was i had a friend of mine by two W6v2 and he was going to build a ported enclosure for it. He took it off of the spec sheet and built accordingly, and it turned out he needed about another cubic foot total, as it sounded horrible in the box. I think the Adire Brahma is a superior woofer, and i don't think my statement is unfair at all. I have heard so many  bad things about JL's spec sheets and i have had personal problems with them myself! The only good experience I've had with them is W3's, as that is the only sub i truly recommend to anyone interested in JL's.

I try to be fair to everyone, but JL has never treated me right. Sorry!
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
I don't care WHO makes the driver... Have somebody spec the driver out, THEN build a box FOR that driver. I have spec'd drivers out that I bought on the same day, and I have RARELY come within 10% of the published specs, LET ALONE within 10% of each other! A manufacturer will only be able to tell you averave specifications for a driver, based on a random sampling of the drivers that came off the line during a given time frame.
SPEC THE DRIVERS FIRST... and do not rely on the published specs to be accurate. Simple as that.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tomos 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 2:44 AM / IP Logged  
Thats fair comment. But hate is a strong word for a company that still makes good products, despite their price.
What's that flippie??
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic