icon

How should this sound?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
I would have to disagree about slopy bass coming from a amp that is wired at 1 ohm. I have been installing for a long time and I have found that if you have an amp that will over power your sub, run it at 2 or 1ohm and have the gains set right the amp will run morre efficently and will hit hard and clear. as far as decks go i would run a nice kenwoo, subs I would go with the idq if you want 12,s . I have had a cheve extended cab, and I put 2 10" type r's dual 4 ohm wired to 1ohm with my kenwood excelon 811d and it pounded hard as hell. the amp is only 230 if you go to locustaudio.com my shop sell them for 499.00.for you highs and mids I would go with rockford fosgate punch components with dual tweeters
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged  

Well, if the amp is good, it doesn't matter if you run it to max load, but for cheaper amps, it may make a difference. As I said, with a brand like JL, it won't matter, because they have a high damping factor to begin with.

As for your component suggestions (and also what your sig says you have), I would have to say that I disagree with all of them. Nakamichi, Eclipse or Alpine deck. Focal, MB Quart, or A/D/S speakers. Adire subs. That would make a sweet system.

2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  

What kfr01 is referring to is the damping factor of the amp. Now I too have been installing for many many years and long before this class D and mono amp garbage came about. We had class AB amplifiers and some of them were monsters (Alpine 3545 for example). These amplifiers were only stable to 4 ohm mono, thus most of the subs of the era were svc 4 ohm and in some rare cases svc 8 ohm. Now with the plethora of class D amps on the market and their ability to produce gobs of power as the impedence drops, there has to be a tradeoff. This tradeoff comes in numerous forms.

(1) increased current draw

(2) increased heat output

(3) poorer damping factor

The latter part is what I will only touch the surface on. Each time that you drop the impedence by half, so drops the damping factor by half. Down to 1 ohm is far less than running at 4 ohms. The amps damping factor is the ability to control the motion of the driver, hence the sometimes used term, "sloppy bass". If you two amplifiers with the same subs and same box and do a side by side comparison on it, in your car, then you will truly understand the difference. To do a test like this you need a class AB amp (monster 2 channel that bridges to 4 ohm and provides say 1000w rms) and a class D 1 ohm that also produces 1000w rms. The second part of the test is the subs in the box, for the class D amp they need to be wired in a all parallel circuit to provide the 1 ohm to the amp, for the 2 channel change the wiring to a series / parallel circuit to present a 4 ohm load to the 2 channel amp. Listen away to your hearts content after that. Each way has it's advantages  / disadvantages, but in terms of control of the sub or "sloppy bass", the 2 channel Class AB will win every time.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
Dude, i think that that system will be bumpin man. A+++++++ Go for it!
If i'd do anything, i'd upgrade the amps from JL to Zapco, US Amps, or MMATS. Those company's make a lot better amps. Cadence too. Check out the ZRS series at www.cadencesound.com

Tony
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
I agree about Zapco. They're too expensive for me, but you're considering JL amps, so your price range is obviously higher than mine.
2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic