icon

Should i solder wires to Sub or no?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blg748 
Copper - Posts: 194
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
ok i opened my box today and the wiring was so loose on the sub the wires easily were to come off im thinking of just soldering the wires that run from the back of the box to the sub to solder the wires to the connection on the sub is this ok i know osme people will say to crimp but the pins on the sub are very tiny it would be good to solder from what i think. is soldering to sub bad ? i dont think it can be but wanna ask just in case. thanks .
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  

Don't turn the heat up too much and keep the soldering iron on it long enough to get a good solder joint, but no longer. The heat can easily damage coils if you leave it on too long. I soldered to my subs too because the crimp connectors kept coming off even when I used pliers to make the connection even tighter. Speakers need to start using full sized tabs if they don't want to use binding posts, damnit.

Hey, there's an idea, solder on some binding posts.

2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
blg748 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
i have a 45 watt soldering iron i know i can keep it their for a second or too it doesnt take long to connect it.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

I personally like to be able to quick-disconnect speakers from the wiring.  So it's F-disconnects for me every time I hook up a speaker.  It's important to use the right size, and sometimes you have to buy 2 or 3 sizes to have the proper disconnect on hand.  Matched up properly, the female disconnect and the spade will fit tightly, with a click when the locking tab on the female engages the notch on the spade terminal.  Sometimes just a slight squeeze with needlenose pliers is all it takes to make the connection snug.

The disconnect may be soldered (and crimped) to the wire, if desired.  Mostly, a good crimp with a crimping tool is all that is needed, though.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CAtid=41&ObjectGroup_ID=400

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
i always solder the wires to a sub... but thats just me.... in fact more often than not, i solder any speaker wire to the terminal connector....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
If you solder be very careful. It is easy to damage coils with heat. You can find the correct type of female connectors. They won't slide off if they fit right. 
'85 Toy
blg748 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
too late used my 25watt iron instead didnt lave it on more than 10 seconrs i pre tinned the connects its not the best job but its better than before. my sub is working so i guess i didnt damage anything.
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 6:24 AM / IP Logged  

Make sure the solder joints are not cold. They should be shiny, not dull.

2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
Cerwin Vega had a small piece of paper in each sub carton that said the warranty is void if the terminals were soldered. I think this was the only company who did this. Binding posts make life so much easier!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic