icon

connecting a sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steeley18 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 5:16 AM / IP Logged  

i have a 1200w sony xplod subwoofer.i need to no how i connect this to my car hifi.i have a jvc head unit with a 10 disc changer in the boot.the sub that i jhave just has standard speaker connections on it.

what do i do?

dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 6:21 AM / IP Logged  

It will sound best not connected.

In all seriousness, you need an amp for it. I'd sell the sub and get something better. But whether you stick with the Sony or do get something better, definitely AVOID AVOID AVOID Sony amps!

2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
steeley18 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  
there is a problem with that,its brand new and its a xmas present for my bro.how much will an amp cost and how does this fit in with the rest of the stuff he has?
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  

Honestly, you'd be best off returning it.

That sub can't take a lot of power, so you'll end up with a cheap amp anyway. Perhaps something like this: http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5738893726&rd=1   Lightning Audio is not great, but it is a RF brand and is not all that bad. It's great for the price.  Something a step up would be: http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5738139657&rd=1   (trust me, that sub is NOT going to take anywhere NEAR 1200W)

You'll also need a box and an amp install kit (8 gauge minimum for either of those amps, though I'd go for 4 gauge)

2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
4 gauge is not nessasary in any way shape or form for those amps. If you plan on upgrading later then its worth running it to start with but I get the impression that you probally wont be going big enough to warrent the extra expense of 4 gauge. As for the sub, I would probally put it in a ported box and go from there. I have to point out that while sony subs are lower end drivers, I have found that if you feed a lot of power to them they dont sound horrible. I have ran 600 rms to one in a ported box with a 30 hz subsonic filter and it didnt sound to bad, so I wouldnt worry about what people say about it yet, I would wait until you get it installed and judge for yourself.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
sexyvic1 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2004 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
dragonrage wrote:

In all seriousness, you need an amp for it. I'd sell the sub and get something better. But whether you stick with the Sony or do get something better, definitely AVOID AVOID AVOID Sony amps!

i installed the pentagon sony amp in my dads truck with 2 10 solobarics and it bangs. sounds great. not sure of the other sony amps but for the price and if u are on a budget i definatly reccommend the pentagon shaped ones.

i actually won a entire sony setup  in a spl comp ( highest spl of the day    connecting a sub -- posted image.   )  that sony sponsored.

their pentagon shaped subs aren't bad either....i had won a pair of those too but i sold them not to long ago and put in the solobarics.

so basically if u are on a budget and do not have money to spend on expensive equipment.....the pentagon shaped sony equipment is right for u.

sexyvic1 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2004 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
dragonrage wrote:

i installed the pentagon sony amp in my dads truck with 2 10 solobarics and it bangs. sounds great. not sure of the other sony amps but for the price and if u are on a budget i definatly reccommend the pentagon shaped ones.

i actually won a entire sony setup  in a spl comp ( highest spl of the day    connecting a sub -- posted image.   )  that sony sponsored.

their pentagon shaped subs aren't bad either....i had won a pair of those too but i sold them not to long ago and put in the solobarics.

so basically if u are on a budget and do not have money to spend on expensive equipment.....the pentagon shaped sony equipment is right for u.

Lizardking 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2004 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
Save up and buy Eclipse and be done with it!!
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2004 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
Alright a lot of posts but not really a stright answer   so here are your prices and how things will tie in
First you will need an amp.   The amps recomended above will do greatly. so Your looking at $100-$250 for an amp
Amp Install Kit $25 at your local wal-mart
The box You can get at your local walmart but wouldnt recomend it, go to best buy or curcuit city art least, of find a local shop. If they are anything like me they have a dozen or so boxes laying in back that are half assembled or just MISC boxes they will sell for cheap. $25-$75
Your amp will need the remote turn on wire and the rcas ran from the cd player in the dash, The Main power wire will be ran to the battery, with a fuse withen 6 inches of the battery
The ground wire will be bolted to a good grounding spot in thr trunk withen 1 ft of your amp
Any other questions feel free to ask
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2004 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  

Go with Jeff's suggestion.  That sub isn't all bad.  I have the 10 inch XS-L1037 in a .71 cuft sealed box with a 300 watt amp bridged.  It hits pretty good.  The Sony subs I believe are small box subs.  It will do your bro until he decides he wants to upgrade.  You have to start somewhere.

Good luck.

Harv
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic