icon

ho alternator in 05 altima?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ampleguy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all i am a newbie here and have a 05 altima with a deh-p8600 and alpine components all around, and 2 15 inch ample exonic subs. I have the subs hooked up to a fosgate 1000 watt amp, and the alpines to a 6 channel amp, i have had it for about 6 months with the stock 110 amp alternator and notice slight dimming at night sometimes, i wanna upgrade the alternator and the big three, does anyone know any sites with one that would fit my car, i appreciate and input, thank you.
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2004 at 2:20 AM / IP Logged  
I would start with the big three first and see if this helps and i would get a yellow top depcycle battery before I would upgrade to a ho alternator. this will help alot and should give you enough power for your amps.
ampleguy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you wheeler i will upgrade the big three wiring and get the yellow top battery first and see how it goes, oh yeah how do you guys like ample subs, i love them they have a good blend of gut wrenching bass and good sq, well anyways thank you for your help.
DDexter 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  

Why go for the battery? If your problem is while the engine is running, this will not do anything.  The alternator will provide all power once the engine is running.  The battery would only kick-in if you have exceeded the alternator's output. If this is the situation, you would still need a higher output alternator.

The yellow top will only give benefits if you are using battery power (engine not running) intentionally.  Depending on where you live (climate), you would be better off with a YellowTop for your accessories and RedTop for your core electronics. Then you would require an isolator, etc ...

I personally would never use a single Yellow Top battery in my car for everything.

supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
You can look at www.4alterstart.com for the HO alternator. That is where I get mine from, and they have been great. I would start with this. You may not need any thing else but the alternator. 
'85 Toy
DDexter 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  

I too bought my HO alternator from alterstart.  For the time being, I had to raise my idle speed because the alternator would not charge at idle (it comes with an overdrive pulley as well).    I sent them an email regarding my situation, and they never responded.

I strongly recommend that you ask for a spec sheet which would plot alternator output vs engine RPM .. (Temperature is also a factor, but I am not aware how they would specify performance against an absolute temperature reference).

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
Alterstart is a good company. My alternator came from there as well...
However, read these posts regarding the battery upgrade, BEFORE you go jumping into a new batter, or simply deciding off-hand to buy the yellow top... 'cause it ain't the best for your application!
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=41903&KW=yellow
and
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=34399&KW=haemphyst
It's some good AND accurate information!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic