icon

In Car Computer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Poonkla 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2002 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, first off I would like to say that I am fairly knowledgable about electronics/computers and the sort and that I have installed my own stereo system in my truck. I appreciate all of your help and that you provide a good free source like this on the internet. I own a 1998 dodge ram quad cab (fyi)

OKAY....here's the deal

I am making a car mp3/dvd computer for my truck.

I already purchased the Eden 800 (800 mhz, integrated everything, $118 shipped) mini-itx motherboard (6" X 6") which has vga out / s video out / rca composite out. It gives you the choice of either vga composite out or 5.1 sound out. I have two 10" rockford fosgate subs hooked up to an amp. My first question is, what is the best way to interface the computer with my audio system? My cd player was stolen recently, and I will be purchasing a new one. I know I can use the AC97 audio out and run it to an aux in jack on the cd/tape player, but will I lose lots of sound quality that way? I know that some tape decks with chnager control can be converted to rca audio in. Will I gain any sound quality by doing that? For an lcd screen, I plan on mounting a 5.6" on the dash. What is the best way to get power to it.

I will be powering the computer via a 300watt power inverter. I still need to purchase the LCD and the head unit and I would obviously prefer to go cheaper on both.

What do some of you audio gurus think? If any of you would like to hear the other specs of the system, just ask or e-mail me. Thanks!

Poonkla 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2002 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

One more thing, I was worried about the cable in the bottom of the screen coming out of the LCD in this picture:

In Car Computer -- posted image.

Poonkla 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2002 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, but what is that thing?
Mobile Ins 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2002 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
Why you Worry about that...that wires goes to that wire harness ..Top in Pictures..when you plug that ..you will get normal RCA cables..it's just for making eays to run cable from you head rest to seat....because that unit design for Head rest
Mobile Installer
Poonkla 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2002 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, thanks, I don't really deal with LCD tvs that much, thank you for the quick reply. Would this be a poor choice for a dashboard monitor? It comes with a stand. (On ebay and will probably go for about 85$)
Ickster40 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2002 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
Probably the best way to get a good audio , is to find a deck that will have a aux input.-  pioneer premier is a good choice.   you would probaly would of saved alot of headaches, by buying an indash dvd player with a flip screen.
DJ,Scottsdale Extreme Sound
Poonkla 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2002 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
I would do that, but the whole cost of this project will be sub 500$ And that includes a fully featured pc. I found a few cd players that feature rear aux inputs. Do yall know of any tape decks that have rear aux inputs?
Ickster40 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2002 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
i know pioneer, clarion, for sure. the pioneer would costs the least.   they have a opt. p-bus cord that  plugs into the changer cord on back of the deck. it gives you a rca input, you'll have to change the settings in the function controls to make it work also. 
DJ,Scottsdale Extreme Sound
Poonkla 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2002 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
about how much price wise for a new/used deck? price for the cord?
Poonkla 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2002 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
(the pioneer)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic