icon

ohm's law question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  

I have a sub with 2 4-ohm voice coils.  If I want to run a sub amp in mono, how many ohms load with the sub be?  I'm asking because I'm trying to pair up a sub with an amp that will be a good fit power wise.  Thanks for any help.  I'm a brand newbie to car audio!

ohm's law question -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
Lizardking 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

Wired in parallel that would be a 2ohm load to your amp...If you run in series I believe that would be a 8ohm load to your amp..

Eclipse "Approaching Perfection"
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
and in case you didnt know, you'll want run a 2ohm load, not 8ohm.
contrary to most things, smaller amount of ohms = better. i forgot why though :))
12v.boogie 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
wired in parrell its 2 ohm but if you monoout an amp it cuts it down to a 1 ohm. 
Lizardking 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

Lower the ohm the better unless you push your amp to it's limits then it's not..

Eclipse "Approaching Perfection"
pneise 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

darthness wrote:
and in case you didnt know, you'll want run a 2ohm load, not 8ohm.
contrary to most things, smaller amount of ohms = better. i forgot why though :))

lower resistance means more current for a given voltage=more power to speaker :)

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
Shop for a mono class D amp with ratings that include wattage at a 2 ohm load impedance.
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
I know I mentioned the dual VC sub but now I'm thinking of getting a JL Audio 12W7 since I already have the subzone box for it.  Any suggestions on the amp brand and model?  I'm thinking maybe a PPI but if there is an amp that would be a good fit for a 12W7 that costs less than PPI but is almost as good, I'm open to ideas.  I just want to make sure and power the sub to it's full RMS capacity which I believe is 750 watts RMS into one 3-ohm voice coil.  Thanks again!
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
Lizardking what is the difference between wiring in parallel and wiring in series?  Thanks.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
Incredible what you find out with a Google search!  288,000 results in a quarter second....but you'll find all you need on the first page.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic