icon

how to become a professional?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dave25456 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 6:40 AM / IP Logged  
I have been installing and selling audio equipment at the local flea market for about a year now.Getiing ready to open a little store with a garage.Now I am just looking for some advice.Want to know where do I go to or what can I get to try to learn on how to trouble shoot audio equipment.Also looking for where to get information on how to install audio equipment.I have done the basic like installing radios,amp and speakers.Want to learn on how to install alarms and tv's.I have the basic knowlegde and I am willing to read and learn.Any info will be appreciated
dave25456
rt2party 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
i dont know how to become a pro but you will NEED insurance! this is somethign a lot of ammatures never consider.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
it's pretty much learn as you go...no one can teach you all the quirky little things you'll see or learn once you start doing things.... i opened my shop in 1979 and i still learn new s**t everyday......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  

Just take you time be careful and when it comes to custom installs use you imagination.  Also, come to the 12volt for advice when lost. 

No set rules on how become a pro.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
And stop selling flea market crap how to become a professional? -- posted image., j/k
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
well a good base to start would be to take a MECP certification test.   This is teach you the book smarts, but the hands on you can only get with time.   Contact your city and start to obtain bussiness license's. Find a vendor/distributor that does not have a minimum purchase, or order quanity.   Honestly if you have not had alot of experience installing alarms and such items I wouldnt start with someone else's vehicle, I would look around in the employment fourm and try to find someone certified and with experience that you could hire on with you
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  

Wow... you are ambitious, but seem to be going in two slightly different directions.

I was and still am the same way....I'm into electronics repair, currently servicing and calibrating laser power & energy meters. Previously I was into telecomm and computer networking. I only have an AS degree in computer networking, I got into lasers and optics because I had earned two fiber optics certifications while in school. There is lots to learn in the 'electronics' field, I'm going back back to school at night for electronics engineering BS, I'll go for MS when I catch my breath. Some say education is a waste of money if you have enough talent....I'm just a gluton for punishment. The best school I ever attended to learn troublshooting was ET 'A' communication systems school in the US Navy. I doubt you want to join the military to learn electronics, but there are lots of those guys teaching civilians too. 

If you want to learn to install, just practice with that flea-market stuff and your own car. If you can get a part time job at a local shop, you can learn all kinds of things just by watching experienced installers.

To learn electronics repair, I would suggest college level or trade school courses, covering the subject well. Unless you are an extreem bookworm, electronics and electronic theory is a difficult subject to grasp without some formal instruction. After that, there are lots of great books for beginners and experts which are much easier to read once you understand the language they are written in.  

Good luck with your business!  I can't offer much advice for that besides 'keep your mind on your money and your money on your mind'!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic