icon

possible amp problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2002 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
Hmmm. I'm really not sure if a cap could do that. I could see a cap fluctuating when not connected to anything, they're kinda like batteries. I would check the cap. If it's a big one, it probably has a vent plug - check and see if that has blown out. Or, it might have a bumped out/split bottom. Both mean it's no good. If the cap has ever had reverse voltage applied or gotten shorted somehow, it could blow it. I would run your system for a week or two w/o the cap and see if it goes away. If it does...well there you go. If it is, it's a nice cheap fix (compared to a bad amp). And if you don't get badly dimming lights or anything, you probably don't need the cap anyway.
/NyxBass
Rukuzz 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2002 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  

NyxBass,

Not the cap!  I checked it today during lunch.  It holds it's charge at 14volts standstill and 13.7-13.9 with the subs pumping.

It was 96degrees with 15-20+ mi/hr winds today.  I checked the amp before i went to lunch and it was nice & cool.  I had no problem.  The speakers were hitting right.  So, were back to the amp heating up during the day.  

It should be around 98-99 when i leave today.  I'll check it again & see what happends.  I'm all confused now!possible amp problems - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.  possible amp problems - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

NyxBass 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2002 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  

That is very odd...

Waiting to see what happens this evening...

/NyxBass
Rukuzz 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2002 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry it took a while to respond NyxBass.  Well guess what nothing happened.  The amp was thumping normally.  possible amp problems - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.  What's going on?  I don't get it.  It was 98degrees with windy conditions and the amp worked well. 

I just don't know any more.  Thanks for all the help buddy!  Really!  I'm baffled!  If you have any suggestions I'm still here!

NyxBass 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2002 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  

Hmmmmm. Big Hmmmmm.

Alright, now get to start stretching. We have to think about what might cause that fuzzy signal. I know 3 ways:

1)it's in the signal from the head

2)The amp is getting low voltage

3)The amp is too hot and in protect

For the signal, you're going to have to wait till it happens again, and then test w/ a portable cd player or similar to see if you have a clean signal or not. For power - a meter next time it happens. Too hot...Ummm? I thought we tried that one. possible amp problems - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

My only thought it that somehting is happening when it gets hot, something's expanding and the power and/or signal form the headunit is getting pinched/stretched to cause it. But I'm stretching. I would definitely do a full run down on every wire, make sure they are as clean as new, no cuts, kinks, stretches, etc...I'd check evey wire there is, fully. Maybe even check for resistance to ground. All grounds should be 0, all others should be infinitely high.

You have the folding seat over the storgae compartment, right? Maybe try leaving that seat up for a few days, especially if the problem coomes back regularly. If it never shows with that, you can work on better venting, passive and active. Keep coming back...we will get this!

/NyxBass
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic