icon

remote start vs interference

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Daisley 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  

I'm new here, but have a fair bit of electronic experience.  I've recently installed a Prostart CT-3300 remote start in my '01 Infiniti QX4.  Everything works perfectly, most of the time.   However- -

At times while driving along, I can hear the system activating (click-click, as if trying to lock / unlock / start) and the park light system flashes.  I suspect interference from external microwave sources, such as tv towers, door openers, etc. on commercial buildings, as it happens always at locations close to such signal sources.

The system also will not function at all if it is near certain commercial buildings, again I suspect microwave interference.

Anyone had experience with this?  Is there a filter that I can add to the receiver to block unwanted signals?

The dealer only says I didn't install it correctly, and wants to do the install over themselves ($$$).  As I say, everything works great when away from sources of outside interference.

Any suggestions / advice would be most appreciated.

Dave

slicksam 
Copper - Posts: 291
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

I personally never seen this before.

I would say the unit is defective or the installation is not correct.

double check you wires....something is activating your unit to go nuts...make sure your ground is in a good spot and tight...check your hoodpin switch(could be not adjusted correctly and while your driving it is making contact)

Testing is the key
Daisley 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

This is the same response I got from the kid at Canadian Tire. He just wants to blame for the fault.

The install is 100%, all connections checked, soldered and heat shrinked.   Grounds have been verified.  I'm quite careful with my installations. Tried reprogramming the remote several times.

The interference fault happens whether the vehicle is moving or parked, running or not.   If I park near a store with a microwave door operator, the system goes nuts! 

Sounds to me like it needs a filter of some sort, ( perhaps a BFH?) or perhaps a different make/model of remote start?  If this is common with these Prostarts, surely someone else has experienced it? 

I'm ready to tear it out and return it to CTC for a refund, but I'm out the installation time then.

madmike025 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
Try going to www.autostart.ca  I used to install at C.T.C. (oh yeah!!)  This is the site prostart advises its installers to use for diagrams and help info.  it requires a password to veiw certain parts but if you look around you can get what your after.
rockabilly rebels!!
Daisley 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  

The web site does provide installation information, but nothing out of the ordinary for troubleshooting, only tells me to hold the remote against my chin to increase the range...that won't do anything for poor range, only causes brain fog!

There is a total lacking of tech support for these Prostart remotes...no phone support, no on-line support (unless you are a "registered installer") aka CTC. I phoned the non-toll free line, never got a reply back.  I faxed them a letter for assistance, no response. No email tech support is available.

This is the last Prostart I will buy, and I would strongly advise anyone considering a purchase to check out the lack of technical support before throwing away your money.  Canadian Tire is hopelessly helpless about anything short of a dead remote battery.

Canadian Tire finally conceded they couldn't help, and offered a refund.  We'll see if that really materializes when I pull it out and return it to them.

Now I'm looking for an affordable remote start w/ lock features, that really works ...?

hayman 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

Well I used to work as a tech at CT and installed  prostarts years ago and I never seen that problem if everything was done right. .  Not saying it couldn't happen though,  as I seen a lot of goofy things over the years when it comes to cars!!   Sounds like to me you got an installation problem or the RS Unit is faulty.  

If the Unit is Faulty (even if it isn't)CT will give you another one or your money back.  Not many other places would do that when it comes to things like RS that you self install.  See if they will give you another one to plug in and try.

Concider yourself lucky you bought it at CT most places would tell a person to take a hike and contact the manufacture.

I not sure about this microwave theory,  CT sells 1,000's  of prostarts yearly plus all the of the autostarts out there too.  I know people personally that get them put in when ever they get a new car as for a basic car starter they work.   If they didn't  work CT  would drop them as  people would be bitching.  And believe me people bitch at Canadain tire to get stuff for nothing  when I worked  there I  seen it first hand daily.  

MY in-laws bought a  compustar (a higher end brand) and had it  installed in thier  1997 GM that gave them nothing but  trouble.  Had to go back the to the shop which specailizes in this  4 times which was a pain as they worked and it was their only car.     Finnally the shop just replaced the unit and got it working for them. 

Then there was my father's car 1996 regal  he had got an ASTRO Start a  basic model (a higher end brand) as a present and took it into get installed.  All he wanted was it to start no locks or anything.  They charged him 250-300 bucks to for installation alone as it had a chip in the key. .  He said they did work on it several hrs.   So he gets the car goes down the road and dash lights are coming on. So back to the shop and he had to sit another  2 hours !!!   All I'm saying  if the unit is faulty and you think  this sort of think is limited to stuff  at CT  because CT sells crap  your  mistaken!!!  

I'm not trying to bash Compustar or Astrostart they both make fine products I'm sure, just saying it can happen to any brand or anyone..

Daisley 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  

That's my point, it looks like a defective module.  As mentioned, the install is 100%.  I run an electronics tech shop, people from all over the continent send me stuff to be fixed.  So when I say the wiring is correct, I can say that with a degree of confidence.

The point is, however, I cannot get any response from Autostart, there is no way to reach their (non-existent??) tech support;  and even if there was a way, I'm not sure the guy or girl at the other end would know how to deal with this problem.

I have no issues with Canadian Tire, except I had to make a fuss to get them to agree to a refund.  This is clearly a defective product.

The question remains, what do I replace it with....

Happy Christmas, everyone!

slicksam 
Copper - Posts: 291
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  

www.ultrastarters.com

you can't go wrong, very easy to install and easy to use

Testing is the key
hayman 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  

You paid what $50 bucks for the prostart on  for 1/2 price? Your not gonna find anything that cheap really unless you go to wal-mart or something.   Locally what I found is most of the shops want to sell either AutoStart (which makes prostart) Computstar, Viper,  or Astro.  Then the places like future shop, best buy  etc. have some more  brands too.  Avoid  anything Autotstart makes and take your pick I guess.   I looked at the one CT had on sale too but it was just the basic Model   I spent more $$ and went to the 2 way FM style.

If it's the module like you say  just  plug in a new one  and give it a go.  

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic