icon

router bits

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  

Alright guys, I just got home from my girlfriends house, she gave me a router for christmas. I'm fired up about it no more rounding the mdf rings w/ a dremel tool. Anyway, I have a question for you guys that use routers, I have never used a router before, I'm definately just going to play around with it before I do anything involving boxes or something.  Alright my question is this what bits do I need to buy to use for fiberglassing?  Im going to lowes this sunday so I need to know exactly what type bits I should buy for fiberglassing.  Thanks for the help guys

Realitycheck

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Carbonb 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
All you need is a small straight bit. You will find it in the tools section of lowes. You will see a lot of different types of router bits.
For doing a lot of other type of cutting jobs. LIke design type bits and round over bits. All you are going to want is a straight bit. Looks like a little cylinder with 2 thing blades pointing inward.
There is a big one and a small one, I'd get the small one. That's about all you need. For MDF you could buy a 3/4" roundoover bit to make the edges look nice on a box for when you carpet it.
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  

Well I was going to get a roundover bit, also because I need that to do the speaker rings and make them well rounded. hehe, So what is the straight bit mainly used for? 

And can anyone else think of any more bits I would need?

Stlb5 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
The straight bit is used for flat out cutting, when you want to go all the way through the MDF, like for cutting out speaker rings.  You'll be looking for a spiral upcut bit.  I priced these at Lowes and they were about $20.  I went online and finally found some from American Carbide that were only $10 a piece.  Shipping was only a few bucks so it was a much better deal than Lowes.  Other than that, the roundover is the only other one I use.
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
Well thanks for the help guys, I dont think I need the spiral upcut bit because I have a jig saw I use for cutting.  What do you mean by the straight bit is used for "Flat out cutting"?
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
Also what sizes should I get they keep saying on the lowes website 1/2inch, 1/4 inch and that stuff which should I get?
redlight831 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
well i dont use this bit for fiberglassing but i use a flush trim bit all the time. it does exactley what the name says.
Stlb5 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
What size is the collet on your router?  Most have 1/2" and come with a 1/4" adaptor.  1/4" bits have worked just fine for me.  MDF isn't too tough.  I use the spiral upcut for cutting out circles, that's what I mean for flat out cutting.  You're not rounding or putting any kind of edge on it, you're going all the way through the wood.  That's really the main reason people buy routers for audio projects, speaker cut outs, and for that, you need a spiral up cut bit.
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  

So is that cut out bit a lot more accurate " I guess would be the word" than a jig saw or something?  Also when im looking at it it says like 5/16 inch roundover with 1/4" s, I realize that means shank. But I mean which size roundover do you need?

Thanks for the help man, I really appreciate it!

Stlb5 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

I use a 1/2" round over because my flush rings are only 1/2" wide.  You can really use whatever size you want.  Once you put a few layers of glass over it, you really can't tell what size the roundover is.  The larger the round over, the more surface the glass has to bond to.

And as far as using the router to cut cirlces, yes yes yes, forget the jigsaw!  Get a circle cutting jig and it will be perfect every time.  Most people really like the Jasper Circle cutting jig.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic