icon

Driving lights pwr from low or high

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mac49 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  

I have currently wired my driving lights so they will come on with either the low beams, or the high beams, depending on which way I throw a on/off/on switch (spdt switch).  The setup goes like this ..............

Fused batt to relay 30, driving lights connect to 87,  ground on 86, and center pin on spdt switch feeds 85. Top pin on spdt switch takes power from high beam, and bottom pin on spdt switch takes power from low beam.  All currently works perfect, but I want to change the spdt switch out for a spdt lighted switch.  When I try to hook it up, of course the lighted switch gets messed up because it expects power feed to the center pin, not from either of the upper or lower pins (because power comes in from either of those, the switch is on even when the daylight running lamps are on, and both switch lights are on, since they expect isolation from each other by pwr coming in on the center pin, not the upper or lower).  Any suggestions how to achieve this so the lighted switch only lights when low or high beam is on??  Many Thanks in advance

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  

You shouldn't have your driving lights on with your low beams.  Driving lights produce a high beam lighting pattern, so you should only have them on with the highs anyway. 

If you want to wire an illuminated switch, there are only three contacts: power, accessory, and ground.  

Tap the high beam circuit (I'd probably add a diode) and connect to the power terminal.  You won't be using the high beam circuit to power the driving lights, only provide a signal to trigger a relay.

Now connect the ground terminal to a suitable ground, and use the accessory terminal to trigger a relay to control your lights.

Now your driving lights are only selectable with your high beams on.  If you leave the switch in the on position, the lights will power whenever you go to highs.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
csorrows 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
All OEM driving lights I have seen are on with low, off with high.
You can build anything if you have enough time and patience!
wiremadness 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  

If you want to have driving lights in any position, follow the above diagram, but instead of the highbeam input, use parklights.

Chris
Store Manager
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  

What the OEM calls "driving lights" are usually just for looks anyway, and don't really serve much of a purpose functionally.  If you buy functional driving lights, you should wire them up so they cannot be turned on with the lows since they have a high beam pattern, and will blind other drivers.  Functional fog lights are okay, though. 

Also keep in mind most states have lighting laws that limiting the number of forward lights you can have on at once (usually only 2 pairs).  With my setup for example, my lows stay on with my highs.  If I turn on my high beams, the ground to my fogs is cut.

Yes, you can use the parking light circuit to switch the lights on with lows and highs, but if you wanted to switch them on whenever, just use a seperate switch all together independent of your headlights.  Just remember to be courteous to other drivers and not blind them.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic