icon

Glueing a surround back on a sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97Pathy 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

I bought a Alpine type-R broken for $7.50, all i need to do is glue the surround back on to get it working again.  What kind of glue is best, i was thinking black silicone?  Theres no rips or anything, it just came un done from the cone. 

And is there anytricks i should do it fix it?

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
Check out partsexpress.com I think they have some articles / products to help in surround repair. Good luck!
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
Im sorry you spent 7.50.   If this is one of the old type r subs, get ready to spend alot on more surround material. and prepare for the tinsel leads to break...It sounds already like one of the first year Type R subs that gave me nothing but probelms.     You can attempt to repair it, but I would turn around and sell it after its reapired and working
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
97Pathy 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

I"ll sender back for warranty if it dosn't work, , my buddy works at an alpine dealership.

I just bought some black silicone adhisive, , i'll know how it holds by tomorrow night when its fully cured.

Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
I have replaced a few surrounds before. i used standard silicon to seal the cone to the surround. Just to be sure they didn't seperate, I sealed both the inside and the outside of the cone/surround.
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  

I dunno if it will work,  but i saw a kid use JB Weld   epoxy when gluing the spider back onto a cone.  It worked like new afterwards,  and the seal still hasn't broken.    If the epoxy doesn't react with the surround material,  use that,  then seal it with silicone. 

~wayland
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 3:15 AM / IP Logged  

We use Prism 410 by Loctite.  It is very expensive, but works great.  It is designed for speakers.  Here's a link: http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/binarydata/pdf/lt3273_SpeakerAdhGuide.pdf

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

97Pathy 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2004 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
Steve , do you know where i could get some?, i couldn't find it anywhere in town.   The black silicone i tryed didn't work, it was to soft, it worked for 15 min until i played Get Low.  Definately should do it right and get the good glue since im powering this sub with a MRD-M501.
97Pathy 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2004 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
K, i found it online, , it comes in a 3 gram tube, or a 20 gram bottle.   Will 3 grams do it?
winston_smith 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
Ya where i work we use loctite. We make led arrays for machine vision we use uv curing loctite expensive stuff it is, i heard we pay like 250$ for about a pint.
But it's cool we have a uv machine you just put your loctite on aim the led then hit the pedal for like 5 seconds and the glue is cured. I would like to have some for home use but the cost of the glue plus the uv machine is way to much.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic