icon

Is glass really as good as a Wood box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
quick4321 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  

Is a glass box really as good (strong) as a 3/4" or 1" MDF enclosure? I was told glass flexes and that casues you to lose sound.

Clarion DRX9255
Dynaudio MD130, MD140/2, MD160, MD170
(4) ID V3. 12" Dual 2ohm IB setup
EPX2 Symmetry w/ zapco line drivers
Monior 1 amps (2)MK2.120, MK4.70
Hifonics Colosus VII 1600x1
Carbonb 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
No, if the fiberglass box is built up with good layers and numerous amount. Which would be 6 layers I think for 1.5 oz mat.
Then fiberglass will perform just as well. I think if you are going to fiberglass something it needs to be worth the effort. Since building a MDF box is a whole hell of a lot easier.
Also I cannot get bubbles out of my layers for crap!
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
Hey carbon I learned that if you put a good coat of resin down then lay your glass on top of it. Then put more resin on top of it, it helps get rid of bubbles also, if you cut your brush bristles down to about an inch long then that helps when you dab it to push them out. Also once you let a couple of the cure, if you're going to do more make sure there are no bumps and stuff if there are sand them off or cut them off with a dremel anything sticking up really. That holds the next layer of glass up in the air and makes it form bubbles.  So just cut those off and then lay your next layer.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
rt2party 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
i totally agree with what all previous posters said, but i want to throw out some common knowledge- MDF is incredibly strong on flat areas, but if you've ever tried bending it, you would see that is impossible. inversely, fiberglass is quite strong through complex curves, but in flat are as it requires much more reinforcement. both can be excelent buildign materials for sub and speaker boxes, both have their own applications. good luck to all with future glass and MDF projects. ~Ryan

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic