the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

what components to use in custom install?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Golde60 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 6:09 AM / IP Logged  
Hello all
I m a recently joining member of the forum, wanting to track down the best components to use in the setup of my system
its all gonna go into a 1960 ragtop beetle, so space is at a bit of a premium.
so far i only have the head unit, so i ve still got alot of flexibility over the rest of the system.
Head unit details are as follows:
Sony CDX-M800 Specifications
CD Section
Frequency Response +0/-0.5dB 20Hz-20kHz
Distortion (THD+N, 1kHz) 0.05%
Stereo Separation 72dB
Signal to Noise ratio 78dB
Preamp Section
Output Level 2.25Vrms (0dB CD)
Bass Control +/-10dB @ 62Hz (Peaking)
Treble Control +/-10dB @ 15kHz (Peaking)
Equalizer +/-10dB @ 62Hz, 160Hz, 400Hz,
1kHz, 2.4kHz, 6kHz, 15kHz (Peaking)
Power Amp Section
Maximum Continuous Power 24.6W x 4 (4 ohms, 5% THD+N)
Distortion (THD+N, 1kHz) 0.075
As for the rest, i would like to have a ported box in the rear, behind the rear seats, with sub(s). i like the idea of having two subs, so i was thinking 2 x 8in.
The maximum boxed area (internal) that i am likely to get here is about 3 cubic feet.
I have purchased some kick panels for the frontal 'stage' speakers, which will be mounted at approximately the drivers right and passengers left ankles (not in the doors). the idea is that they will project forward and slightly inwards, directly at each front occupant.
I would like to also mount two tweeters into the 'headreast' of each of the two front seats. I am yet to get the interior/seat trimming done, and i want to mount the tweets onto the frame of the seats so that they wont be seen under the trim.
I will likely be mounting (two?) amps into the boot (front) to be close to the head unit. Note also that the battery is mounted under the rear seat, and yes it will be 12Volt
I am looking for a system that works well together for max SQ, not really interested in SPL. I listen to all types of music, and like to have the bass UP.
So, I was hoping that you could answer me the following questions....
1. Given the fact that its a small car, and i have a relatively small volume for the box, would i be better with 8s, 10s or a single larger sub?
2. Given that i want to hide the tweets in the seat headrests, I am thinking of getting pair of splits to combine with the kick panels up front. Can you recommend some sizes/types and whether i should bother with some mids in the rear for fill as well.
3. Can you please advise of some brands for all the components, including the possible size of the amps.
Bedget for the components will be a concern, but i am a little flexible if it means the difference between good and great.
i know you guys must get these sorts of questions all the time, so thanks in advance for your patience - as im no expert on the subject of car audio

I read that DYohn used to own a blue VW, and I was hoping that he could give me some tips for the install seeing as he knows the areas in the VW that i m on about
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  
first off
[quote]I would like to also mount two tweeters into the 'headreast' of each of the two front seats. I am yet to get the interior/seat trimming done, and i want to mount the tweets onto the frame of the seats so that they wont be seen under the trim.[/quote]
this may deter you from turning the sound up, with the tweets so close to the ear i dont think you would appreciate the high frequencies all that much. especially if you power the speakers properly with a 50watt output from an amp, or higher. you'll also may run into seperation problems between midbass in the kicks and the tweets right next to each occupants ear. i would opt for tweets in the kicks, or on the dash somewhere as a secondary option.
1: if your going for sq, 1 10" sub choosing a company that builds subs with low volume enclosures in mind will give you more flexability in sub design, i would also go for a sealed enclosure for to continue with your request of SQ over SPL
2: refer to first paragraph.
3: well honestly when it comes to paying a couple-few hundred dollars for any component system, you will walk away happier than you would imagine. i have a set of Phoenix Gold Ti Elites 5 1/4's and i cant handle how loud these get. the only thing i would have done differently is got the 6 1/2's to beable to get louder better sounding mid bass. but because the speakers are in my doors i think if i put them in kicks then i would hear alot more midbass (so gj on getting kicks)
ohter brands i've heard are good are:
Mb Quart
Cadance
Polk MOMO
Bostin Acoustics
I could possibly make a suggestion for kicker resolution components, i have a 6 1/2 coaxial in the rear and these things get loud, and have stayed clear. i imagine the components are just as good and better for the money.
-----
Amps, as far as amps go, i'd say look for a 2amp for your fronts, run rears off your deck, and a 400watt RMS amp for a 1sub setup.
budget amps to look for are
JBL
Kicker
Rockford
too many to name, there are alot of lower-end amps made by companies that make nice high-end stuff. crutchfield.com or sounddomain.com eliteaudio.com, just to give you some brand name options.
HTH
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
just to give you a budget system, I would go with either the rockford punch componet system 199.00 sound great or the kenwood excelon around 179.99 both are  6 1/2 the rockford can handle more power and have dual tweeters, you can mount one on the 6 1/2  and mount the other in the tweeter spot in the kick panel,for a budget 10" maybe a infinity kappa perfect, for great sq i like the 10" rockford p3 you can put lots of power to can hold up to 400 rms, or a kenwood excelon not much on spl but sq is great can handel 500 rms, as for amps you can get a kenwood 811d for 235.00 great amp not a bad price (locustaudio.com) I sell this amp for 499.00 for your fronts and mids I really like the eclips amps nice clean power. the best thing to do is find what you want and then shop around for awhile to get the best price. If you have any car audio shops go in and listen to some subs before you buy anything

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic