icon

Radio Control Ignition Kill Child's ATV

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fierygt 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  
Just curious, if I get one of those simple remote starter kits for cars, is there anything special that should be done to it if I wanted to use it as an Ignition Kill for a child's small ATV, or is as easy as just hooking up the relevant wires?
TJ92Civic 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  

I don't really know, but I think you could just get a regular alarm, and hook up the starter kill and when it is armed it will not start.  I don't know how the ATV works though.  Good luck!

tim

floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
Yup,
The real question is it on a 6v or 12 volt system? I've hooked 12v alarms to 9v but not as low as 6v.
Just looked a Yamaha ATV site and their youth Raptor 50 is 12v. If yours is 12v then you know have a power source for the alarm.
The relay you'll need to use to intrupt the flow of power does not care whether is passes AC or DC (pins 87/87a/30) so you can put this in line with almost anything (not the spark plug wire though). So if the ATV has a ignition coil you could put the relay in line with it BEFORE it turn into the high voltage. Or if there is an electric type kill switch (kinda like a key in your car) than that's the best place. That way they have done all the work for you.
Good luck
fierygt 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2004 at 4:30 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys, that was just the information I was looking for.  I thought my thinking was correct, just needed second opinion.
fierygt 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, new question.  I just bought a "remote controlled light harness kit", which basically entails an alarm type of transmitter, being able to turn off and on your fog lights remotely.  The "brain" is a very simple box consisting of the +power, -ground, and two black wires for the grounds for the fog lights, and two white wires for power to the fog lights.  So my question is, can I use this as it is for an ignition kill by just splicing one set of the "fog light" connections into the key harness of the atv, or do I need an additional relay?  It is a 12v system on the atv by the way, and thanks for helping.
fierygt 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic