icon

My amp and speaker choices

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota Club cab that I'm going to completely remodel.  I'm almost done with about $300 worth of madmat and Dynamat Extreme.  Now I'm going to make a fiberglass dash and maybe door panels before New Year's.  I already have some Tuned by Matrix racing seats that match the paint custom welded to the OEM seat brackets and installed in the truck with racing seatbelts.  I'm thinking of going with a JL Audio 12W7 sub powered by a PPI  DCX 1500.1 amp.  Then I'll make kick panels for the floor and use a pair of QSD-216s by MB Quart for the only speakers in the truck powered by a PPI DCX 500.2 amp.  What do you think of this plan?  With such a small space to fill with sound, I figured that these two speakers and this sub should be good enough since I'll have great noise-proofing and plenty of power going into the speakers.  Thanks for any comments.
My amp and speaker choices -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
rt2party 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

nice ride, i have a 99' Club Cab Dodge Dakota R/T. i unfortunatly cant be much help answering your question, but i would love to see pics of th truck sometime. my email i rlcooper21@tntech.edu . i just started working on a sub box for my truck. i dont accually have the sub yet but i know how it will look and the glassing takes forever. hit me up sometime if you want. good luck. ~Ryan

PS: how will you have clearance for the kick pannels with the parking brake pedal in the way?

/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
your system will be loud, i dont think you need to be concerned about your choice of products.
just make sure you dont skimp on wiring for those 2 amps.
i did look @ the 2 amps your choosing. and although the damping factors dont impress me terrbiley much (more so on the 1500.1), i've heard good things about PPI in the past.
04mdx4sq 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
Your speaker choice sounds good, but I must ask why the PPI amps? I would have to agree with /r7, the specs aren't exactly stellar, and with a sub such as the W7, a low damping factor will translate into muddy bass.(I had to look twice to see if this was a misprint, only >50? and is that at 4 ohms, becuase it will be even lower as the impedence  drops)  The new PPI amps don't come anywhere near what the old stuff once was. I believe there are better amp choices for your setup.
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
I'll have to think about the break pedal thing.  I may just put the speakers in the door panels I'm making instead. What amps would you recommend for the QSD-216 and for the 12W7?
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
well hopefully this isnt considered a shameless plug for a company i've only used one amp from.
But the Soundstream tarantula (5 channel) has been amazing. VERY loud, the damping factor >500. their better line would be the human reign series, i may be somewhat cautious of the XXX series i dont know of that is a Power Akoustik design or not.
but soundstream as an overall choice should provide you will some good options.
what is your price range for amps?
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  
I don't have a price range.  The PPI are expensive.  Also, can you explain what damping factor is?  I've never heard of that when talking about amps before.
04mdx4sq 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
In simple terms, the damping factor is the ability of an amplifier to control a speaker. The higher the number, the more control. If price is not a consideration, the new MB Quart Q series amps may be worth looking into.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  

/R7 wrote:
your system will be loud, i dont think you need to be concerned about your choice of products.
just make sure you dont skimp on wiring for those 2 amps.
i did look @ the 2 amps your choosing. and although the damping factors dont impress me terrbiley much (more so on the 1500.1), i've heard good things about PPI in the past.

Don't be so concerned about damping factor.  The difference damping factor would make between all of the above amps will be totally inaudible.  I would never make a buying decision based primarily on damping factor. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic