icon

Need quantity list

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Stanford1621 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2003 silverado extended cab that I will be building a fiberglass sub enclosure for in 2 weeks how much rage gold will I need? How much does a gallon cover? and how much mat and resin will I need? I am building it over a holiday weekend and won't be able to run to the store to buy more.  The box will house 4 12's and 3 amps and will take up the whole extended cab part up to the bottom of the window.
Carbonb 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
Um, A LOT! I would say around 8 packages of matting then I would say 1 gallon of rage gold would easily be enough.
Then for fiberglass I would go with 2 to 3 gallons of resin. I'd say 3 if this is your first time becuase you are probably going to waste resin. Which is hard not to do when you are learning.
I still waste tons of resin :(
That should cover you, is the enclosure going to be connected or are they going to be seperate chambers? I suggest seperate chambers because building 1 huge box would take a whole lot more layers.
Use some MDF to take away some of the burden.
rt2party 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
i concur with the above post, but i wanted to remind you to take pics for all of us to see your progress. sounds like a pretty bad-ass box you have planned. i know i def. wanna see it! good luck  ~Ryan
Stanford1621 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
I have the digital camera all ready to go and there will be plenty of pics I have a friend helping me that has used fiberglass before (repairing boats) and use to be a finishing carpenter.  do you guys fiberglass the inside and outside of the box? It would seem where the fleece overlaps the speaker rings would be real weak becuase the resin would have to penetrate the fleece all the way through to the rings to get a hold?  It is probaly gonna be a single chamber with alot of cross bracing the bottom and back panels will be made of MDF.  Is there anything I am missing? 8 packs of mat, 3 gals resin, 1 gal rage gold. I have brushes, masks, gloves.  And when you say 8 packs is a pack a standard size? Will the guy at the parts store know what I mean when I tell him 8 packs.   
Carbonb 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, a pack is just a package usually like a sheet 45 inches by 56 inches or whatever.
That is all you are going to need, and I would highly reccomend to trying to get the resin to soak completely through on all spots of the fabric.
Sometimes I miss spots and regret it, becuase it makes the overall foundation a whole lot stronger.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic