icon

Cutting floorpan to install separates?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Speed2Sound 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

As stated above, the enclosure for my separates would be under the floorpan behind where the dead pedal is currently.  I've seen this done in magazines, but, I've never talked to anyone who's done it. I've never seen it in a fox mustang either. I want to do custom kick panels, but, I don't want to lose my foot room so I am considering the under the floor idea. I think steel would be the best meterial for construction because it can be welded into the floorpan & hopefully retain the strength & integrity of the floor.  Are there any obstacles I should be aware of if I decide to do this? I am installing subframe connectors too so it must clear them.  Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

Blackout

90 Mustang GT - in the early design stage - project nasty street car
Speed2Sound 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2004 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
anyone?
quick4321 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 4:41 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 1994 stang and Ive owned two fox body stangs. I found it to be a little to extreme to cut into my car's floorpan to attain the perfect  "air space" for my seperates (since I don't compete nationally). In my fox body I just added poly fill and dealt with my MB quarts not having optimal airspace. When I bought my 94 I did the same thing originally, until I looked into self contained mid ranges. I now run a tweet and mid in my kickpannel that use almost no airspace and are tottaly self contained. The kickpannel is jsut a housing so i have a way to point them. I then put a woofer in my door to create a 3-way setup. My Dynaudios were a bit pricey, but I be someone else here can recomend a self contained mid that you can stick in you kickpannel without cutting up your car.
Clarion DRX9255
Dynaudio MD130, MD140/2, MD160, MD170
(4) ID V3. 12" Dual 2ohm IB setup
EPX2 Symmetry w/ zapco line drivers
Monior 1 amps (2)MK2.120, MK4.70
Hifonics Colosus VII 1600x1
Speed2Sound 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  

thanks for the reply. I'm not so much worried about the airspace as I am the foot room...thats what I was looking into the under the floor deal. If I build a set of kicks then I can't powershift at the track because I have no room for my foot to go without crushing the kick panel & speakers when my foot sidesteps the clutch. I don't compete nationally nor do I have plans to. I am an installer of 9 years & I know what I like my car to sound like.

Blackout

quick4321 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
my speaker covers definitely got dented up power shifting.
Clarion DRX9255
Dynaudio MD130, MD140/2, MD160, MD170
(4) ID V3. 12" Dual 2ohm IB setup
EPX2 Symmetry w/ zapco line drivers
Monior 1 amps (2)MK2.120, MK4.70
Hifonics Colosus VII 1600x1
overworked 
Copper - Posts: 133
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
one question, if you are an installer, then nwhy did you have to ask the question about cutting into the floorpan? the moment you cut into the floor pan you are going to lose structural integrity! no matter how much metal you put back in its place! and if you use this car on the track then the last thing you want is any loss of integrity in the structural balance of the car. My suggestion? look for alternate places. Maybe mount them in the dash with a MDF enclosure behind them. Not sure if you will have the room ot do so, as I'm australian I dont see many Mustangs, but hey if you want any advice on the Pontiac GTO then just ask, as its an aussie built car.
Speed2Sound 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 6:28 AM / IP Logged  

I asked the question because I've never done it myself & no other shops in my area have done it either. I don't think there's room behind the dash to build an enclosure. There's not much free real estate  under there.

Blackout

overworked 
Copper - Posts: 133
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 6:43 AM / IP Logged  
Seriously dude I cannot advise strongly enough against cutting into the floor pan, the floorpan carries about 75% of the cars structural integrity, but hey by all means go right ahead!
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
Overworked is really on the right here... Decide which is more important, the ability to move strongly and with little worries or have some nice foot room. I understand you like your music but... Racing /= Audio. They will clash(here) and that's bad. Keep 1 racer, 1 street.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
sinister audio 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
y dont you make some kicks for the door panels i did on my '91 stang out of the speaker grills it worked really good and easy to do. you could also make a whole new door panel because they arnt really the best in the world either.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic