icon

Did I buy the wrong thing?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
adamiscertified 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2002 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
Ok. I'm 16 and wanted to get some good sound to show off in my '96 buick skylark 2 door. I bought a subwoofer system from JcWhitney (Pyramid) that included 2 12" subwoofers, 2 tweeters, in a bandpass carpeted box. Each sub is 500 watts. I also bought a 1000watt, 500 x 2 channels, amp. It was a legacy. I know it was cheap stuff, but I am on a budget. After speaking with my brother in law, he thinks I made a mistake to try to hook the subs and amp up to my 2 channel JVC cd-player. He said I risk blowing something or the amp burning up. He feels I made a mistake with the amp/subs and think I should try to sell them and try to get what I paid out of them ($100 for the box, $90 for the amp). The amp does have a built in crossover. I have factory speakers, 6.5" door, and 6x9 in my trunk. The subwoofers would take up a great deal of space, but I could live with it if it would work. I mainly listen to country, which I would not want a strong strong bass. But I do listen to some songs, and just to show off want to have the bass available. My bro in law thinks I need to either to go with 4 new good speakers. If Im not satified with that, get a new cd player. If still not satisfied, go with an 4 channel amp / 1 10" sub. I'm not trying to spend $700 on this (Still owe my dad over $1000 for a loan for the car). Another guy I know, said I could hook up two 12's and that a 4 channel amp would not be necessary for what I plan to use them for. What is the best / most cost effective way to do this? Please let me know what yall think. I appreciate it!
Aw1208q 
Copper - Posts: 42
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2002 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  

"After speaking with my brother in law, he thinks I made a mistake to try to hook the subs and amp up to my 2 channel JVC cd-player."

are you going to hook the subs directly to the cd player or are you going to hook the amp up to the cd player and the amp will be pushing the subs??

your cd player should have a sub woofer out put (RCAs) on it. on the amp for the input does it have only RCA inputs or does it have RCAs and normal speaker wire input also? you could hook up the amp using the RCAs with no problem and not worry about hurting anything. and samething applies to the speaker wire input.

chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2002 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  

No offense to your brother in law, but you need to stick to what you can afford. 

Are you sure you just have a two channel JVC cd player?

You need to wire the CD player to the amp(wether it be by RCAs' or by taping to the rear speaker wires and going to the HIgh input on the amp) then have the amp power the box.  Leave everything else in your car alone.  By using the High inputs in the amp it takes the signal from the speaker wire and not the power, so it should not harm the CD player at all.  Now, if you do have a two channel cd player running four speakers then you will have a problem.  But not with the amp or the box, just with the two channel cd player trying to run four speaker and mostlikely seeing a two ohm load now.  If this is the case I would suggest replacing the deck with a four channel deck with some rcas'.

(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
adamiscertified 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2002 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  

COuld I just hook up the 2 back 6x9's to the sub and just keep a 2  channel cd player?  If not, what is a good cheap 4 channel cd player.   And do yall know a place with guides for installation? (hiding the wires mainly).  Thanks! 

chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2002 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
since you are on a budget, go to your local walley world.  They usually have decent decks for sale at reasonable prices.  Then again, check with your local shops and tell them what you want and that you are on a budget, if they don't seem helpful, walk out and don't look back.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic