icon

fiberglass hot tub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2004 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

Now, I know this doesn't have anything to do with  audio, but it has everything to do with fiberglassing. My neighbor had their hot tub destroyed by a tree recently during a bad storm. They threw away everything (tub, motor, nozzles, hoses...etc.). Me and my buddy picked them up and were wondering. How thick would we have to layer the glass or it to tolerate hot water?? Thanks guys, and hey.........once we've built it, come over ad par-tay!!

Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
I suspect that there would be no issue, I recommend going to your local marine supply store and tell them what  you are doing. they should be able to steer you clear of any products that won't tolerate water, but keep in mind, fiberglass is used on boat hulls, and they take a far more terrific beating than anything a subwoofer or a ho tub could throw at it. just make sure you put a lot of work into the finishing, the last thing you want is to sit on a rough bottomed hot tub. good luck
Carbonb 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
Well could you just fiberglass from the back of the tub, and then use a filler on the inside and sand it on the seems.
Would save time I would think.
branvw 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

you need GELCOAT! this is what makes the tub water proof, u will get this at the marin shop, without this the fiberglass will oxydise and turn brital and crack.

creid 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
When fiberglass is setting up how hot does it get>  Currious to see if it would cause Car paint to fade?  Or would it warp the pannels?
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
It doesnt get that hot, I have had it burn my hand a little bit before when holding the bottom of the cup. But having it in a plastic mixing cup it doesnt melt it so I'm pretty sure its not going to warp metal panels. Also the thinner it is the less heat it will be able to hold.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic