icon

wave box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ak77 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
Hi Im a new guy to this forum I drive a 94 Taurus GL with a preety good system I put together, which consists of, Pioneer headunit, pioneer 5x7s in the rear, kenwood 6 cm in the front doors, kenwood 600 am and a concept 12" woofer 700 watt maxx. The sub is in a custom wave box built for that sub and my trunk. Ill get a picture up soon if need be.
My question to yall (you all for all you dang northeners haha)Is has anyone here heard of the WAVE BOX. Anyone else here got one? Or am I the only one? The guy who builds them has world records in sound. His van was metered at 157 on only 100 watts of power. Yes I am serious, I have seen this van and its pretty cool. The box to get made, you have to know the VAS, the Qts, the Fs and spl. It has a-k variables and if the box is not made correctly it will blow your sub.
So anyone ever heard of what Im talking about.
Proud supporter of MeggaMaxx Audio and the WAVE BOX.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
It's probably a trnasmission line enclosure based on the bose design.
Support the12volt.com
Ak77 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
It is based on Bose technology.
Ak77 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
I love how this is a forum dedicated to auto electronics, and no one here knows what im talking about.
bluetruck 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
another hypothesis is that no one cares? i've never heard of a wave box. post pics or a description of what it is.
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

Its called transmission line.  Nothing new...very old in fact.  Wouldnt call it bose technology either.  They just had engineers to make it work.  I attempted to make a folded horn- type of TL- and with 150rms it sounded nice for a pair of 8's- but couldnt match pair of 12's when going low.  If your good at math check out this link and follow forumlas and build your own TL or Folded horn- smaller for a single sub. 

http://www.melhuish.org/audio/horndesign.html

Then on sounddomain some guy posted what is what, from the forumlas...dont have that link...but search it.

Or go to powered 4 sound and buy one of his boxes.  Overpriced IMO but they know how to do it.  And you can get one loaded...adire shiva.  Shipping would a be a killer tho.lol

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
A folded horn is NOT the same as a transmission line, and they are not a type of one or the other, they are very separate and distinct technologies.
First off, Bose does not know what high-end IS... Their (sh*te)Wave Radio (TM) is not a true transmission line, it is a quasi-transmission line. It's woofer is in a box - a SMALL box for its parameters, with a HUGE port attatched to the back of it, then they EQ the HELL out of it... for "low frequency reproduction". Yeah, it is CLSE to what I am about to describe, but since I have never torn one apart to examine it, I can't say much more than that to the construction of one. I have to rely on word of mouth from my Harman engineer friend (who HAS torn one apart, but cannot reveal the trade secrets discovered).
A transmission line behaves very similarly to a vented enclosure in the fact that the back wave is used for re-inforcement of the front wave, but instead of 90 degrees out of phase like a vented box, the wave is 360 degrees out of phase, and there is no box, the driver attaches DIRECTLY to the resonant pipe. The benefits to this method include - better transient response, smaller enclosure for deeper resonance, smoother frequency response and impedance curve - allowing better damping from your amplifier, NO, and I mean NO port noise. They do NOT offer significantly enhanced output, except at resonance.
How do I know about transmission lines? I had two Infinity Pro 12's in a TL in my 86 Civic HB about 10 years ago. It was 9 cubic feet, damped with sand, it weighed over 400 pounds, and was tuned for 22Hz. Actually the DESIGN was for 22Hz, but it ended up landing closer to 18Hz - certainly a desireable, if not completely USEABLE error! I still have two 18" transmission lines tuned for 12Hz in my living room. They are as big as refrigerators, and take four guys to move them, and have 32 FEET of line in them!
The TL is a MUCH easier design than a vented cabinet, though more difficult to construct - the science comes with the stuffing, if you decide on a stuffed line. Here is the basic math:
Terminus = 25% of Sd_of_woofer
Opening of line = 50% of Sd_of_woofer
Length = wavelength_of_driver_Fs / 4
Driver = ideally a Qts of .4 or lower
These are the basic rules to an unstuffed line, and if you ever decide to buid one, I am sure you will not be disappointed.
A stuffed line follows the basic same rules, but the line is MUCH shorter, by at least 50%. The stuffing slows the speed of the sound through the line, making it appear much longer thus allowing a shorter line with the same resonant frequency as a long line.
A folded horn, (which is just a horn, folded...) on the other hand, offers EXTREME output, with absolute minimal movement of the driver cone. It is a buried driver, meaning, you never see the driver cone. The horn is attatched to the front of the driver, the driver is acoustically suspended in a saled box at the end of the horn, and the mouth of the horn is often times MANY TIMES the size of the driver Sd. Horns are NEVER stuffed, and are always physically HUGE, and get larger the lower down you go... i.e. a bass horn is dozens of times larger than a mid horn, which is many times larger than a highs horn. You will never see a low frequency bass horn in the car, there is simply not space for it. A properly designed horn can be an awesome experience, my favorites being from a company called Moondog Audio. For you who call yourselves TRUE audiophiles, listen to them sometime... here's a link to read some about them: http://www.fsaudioweb.com/listen/moondog.html For those of you that THOUGHT you liked horns as/when/if you listened to Avantguarde Horns, "you ain't never HEARD GOOD HORNS" - AvantGuarde horns SUCK next to the Moondogs... But I digress...
Anyway, there is a quick little primer on horns (folded or not) vs. the Transmission Line Loudspeaker.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  

hmm...learning new things everyday. :P 

Anyone figure out powered4sound labrinth box set up with those 6.5 inchers from audiobahn.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
Ak77 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
Sure ill post some picks and if need be ill show u how it looks inside.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  
OK, where do I find information on this supposed magic "WAVEBOX"? I have hunted the internet for like an HOUR now, and nothing but one mention of it - in an acura at Sounddomain.com... I want to see this thing, and I want a website with REAL information, not hype. And DON'T tell me it's on the meggamaxx.com website. If it IS there, then post a link to it...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic