icon

Optima Red for 2nd Battery?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
I'm running a JL Audio e6450 (wired to 150x2 and 45x2) and a JL Audio e1800D (wired @ 2 ohms to 800x1). As it stands, with the e1800D going full tilt off a rebuilt 150-amp alt, a Optima Red Top & 1.2F cap the thing will occasionally clip out and the headlights dimm like crazy. . . so the last power upgrade left is a 2nd battery.
I've recieved the recommendation that I should wire my existing Red Top in Parallel with another one in the trunk instead of isolating a seperate deep cycle.
I idea being that the two red tops in parallel will yeild an extra volt over isolating another battery.
Since I'm running high voltage amps and my power supply is *almost* adequate, I ought go with more available power over reserve capacity?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  

I posted earlier today on the use of an optima RED top for any amp power supply.

The red top developes a "memory" and CANNOT be deep cycled at all.   Kinetik (I think thats how ya spell it)  makes power cells that are far superior to optima, for high need power consumption, i the car audio world!

If your gonna use an optima for a second battery......use a yellow top

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
Use a yellow top. You need a deepcycle battery for that application, the red top will not be the one for you.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
itchyfishnv 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  

I have 2 yellow tops in my plow trucks. youre headlights will not dim with 2 of them. My trucks headlights barely dim when lifting a 1000 lb blade off the ground. if you are going to wire 2 batteries in parallel they have to be of the same age or you will need to isolate them to prevent premature failure.

sexyvic1 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
go with the yellow top   Optima Red for 2nd Battery? -- posted image.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
Itchyfishy:
Hmm this occured to me as well... my understanding of batteries lends that one that is a year older than another one of the same model as well be different batteries entirely.
I do know that my Red top under my hood is in tip-top shape, I had it checked just before I put in the HO alt a few weeks ago, but the thing is still a year old.
What does it mean can't be "deep cycled?"
How do u isolate a 2nd battery anyway?
sexyvic1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  

in order to isolate a 2nd battery isolater.  all u have to do is buy a battery isolater

sexyvic1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
in order to isolate a 2nd battery, all u have to do is buy a battery isolater
~AFAccord~ 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  

sexyvic1 wrote:
go with the yellow top   Optima Red for 2nd Battery? -- posted image.

nuff said...

Black Cherry
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it."
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
what you mite want to try to do is replace the red top under the hood with a yellow top. The yellow top is a deep cycle battery ment for accesories, while the red top is merely specialized in cold cranking amps, aka starting power. If you try this, your battery mite not drop power as much. This mite save you the hassle of having 2 batteries, but if you have to have two batteries, u should just put two brand new yellow tops in there.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic