icon

Transmitter distance- no so great.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hayman 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

I finnally had some time and installed my remote (autostart) this week.   Works good locks and starts like a charm on the farm.   I took it into the city to where the kids play indoor soccer at.  This building is big has 2 hockey rinks, 2 soccer fields, swimming pool, water park.....you get the idea.  Plus its covered metal sheeting on the outside.    It was busy so I had to park  away from the building on the south side  not too far maybe a  250-300 hunderd feet.  I went to the far side of the building (another 150 feet) where the norh soccer field is,  tried my RS and it wouldn't  work #!!&**!^#!!   So I go on to the second level and tried it  again more in the center of the building (more open)  where the food court is and it did work.  Its a 2way RS so it lets me know if it starts on the remote.   

So it does work at the rec. center not too bad but not near as good as the sales clerk  said it would!!!!   He claimed 3000 feet of range bla bla bla. I  told him excatly what I wanted,  a simple FM 2way remote with no LED screen or Alarm and that I was willing to pay $$$ for the right RS  for the job.  He said this is the one for me  and he swore it would be no problem.  I told him if it does 600  feet in tough places  from inside big buildings etc. out to the parking lot I'd be happy.  Again I got the no problem no worries. 

Next time I'll park closer to the building and see how it works.   I'm thinking it has more to do with the structure of the biulding then the distance in the parking lot though.

So I was wondering is this the norm,  am I expecting too much or what??

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
building construction will certainly play a big part in the range you can expect.... i've seen units do less than 100 feet inside some buildings yet do well over 1000 ft line of sight outdoors......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
Big steel buildings are not kind to remote starter transmission ranges. Most multi use facilities are also laden with all sorts of RF interference. My ususal range test is from my bay to the front store... if it works from inside this tin can, no problems (I get very few radio ststions clearly, absolutely zero AM in this sucker).
HTH
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic