icon

This look right?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
Good choice with buying from Crutchfield...  I bought my head unit and speakers from them and couldn't be happier.   BTW,  Crutchfield reccommends that Wiring Kit for that amp specifically. 
But if you'd like to save forty bucks, I'd highly recommend KnuKonceptz.com for your wires.  They're and online company that my friend told me about.  Since they're factory direct, you'll save a bunch of cash.  My entire system is running on KnuKonceptz Wires,  and again, I couldn't be happier.  They have good customer service, and ship relatively fast.  Their products are high quality too.  Here's a link for the kit you'll need:  http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KOLAK4   as you can see, it has everything the street wires kit has,  minus 2 feet of ground cable (they say you shouldn't use more than 3 feet anyways). 
Also,  even though you don't want us to comment on the quality,  I'd say don't go with Visonik period.  A family member was looking for a cheap setup for his car, and installed that very same Visonik bandpass setup you listed.  It lasted maybe 3 months under normal use.  It may seem cheap now,  but in the long run it's better to spend a few extra dollars on a better sub/enclosure.  (Coates' Law:  "One good one costs less than two cheap ones").  My cousin went to Circuit City and bought two 10" Alpine woofers (they were on sale) and put them in a cheap no-name cicuit city sealed enclosure (he purchased and installed them himself, with my help.  Circuit city guys will pressure you to have them install it for you,  but that's only because they work on commission.  buy them and install them yourself!)  ,  and they outperformed the Visonik crap he had before.  And, it only cost him a few dollars more (you'll save more money buying KnuKonceptz to put toward a better setup). 
Bottom Line:  Good Amp,  BAD VISONIK,  Good www.KnuKonceptz.com .  Good Crutchfield
PS.  I've heard a lot of decent things about POLK - MOMO Woofer setups.  They're cheap,  but do perform.  Can anybody else vouche for polk for XPLORER???   
P.S.S. -  I thought two woofers would look great in the back of my explorer,  but as the years went on, i now with i got one single woofer, and placed it dead center in the rear, with amps around it....FOR THE SAKE OF SPACE!!!   Sometimes one is better than two....price, space, power wise...  Plus two woofers are more cosmetic than sound.  One good 12" will probably outperform two cheap woofers that cost the same....
~wayland
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  

Not too bad...but think for less you can get a pair of ED's or RE's subs, which will be better and last....but you dont want that info... :D

Also...if he isnt going to be running 14.4 volts...he isnt going to get near the rated power.  You need a HO alt and better battery to put out that.  Stock system doesnt put out that kind of power.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  

My Suggestion:

1:      R/T Dual 12" .88 Cu. Ft. Sealed enclosure 
                   http://www.cardomain.com/item/RTE32112
         Alpine 350 watts rms @ 2 ohms Amplifier
                  http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vSFqwKoSkD3/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=130&I=500MRPM350
         2x Alpine 200 watts RMS 4 ohm Type E subwoofers (my cousin's woofers...sound good)
                  http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vSFqwKoSkD3/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=67700&I=500SWE1241
         TOTAL:  (less shipping)  $445.00  

Visonik Setup:  $ 300 amplifier +  $ 190.00 visonik bandpass =  $490

~wayland
wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  

The stock system will do fine with that power.... Assuming it's an explorer...  Mine ran 2100 watts RMS fine for a long while... After a while it did tax the charging system though (after about 9 months, the voltage would drop to about 10 at a stop sign when running two amps, wipers (front and rear), headlights, and front and rear defrosters (front at full blast).   Granted, my truck is now 10 years old.  But, the alternator still works,  i just replaced it for my amplifiers' sake!  600 watts shouldn't even hurt the lil' bugger...

~wayland
wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  

BTW, My cousin's exact Setup is:

2x 10" alpine type E's    powered by a   Bazooka ELA3001  300watts RMS @ 2 ohms....  A stellar amp for the money  ( like 160 dollars at Circuit City,  with a S/N ratio of 115db  (I don't know it that is an accurate number....but for a mono amp,  anything will do)
As a matter of fact, I'm just going to go ahead and recommend its bigger brother in addition to that alpine amp i mentioned above.  The Bazooka ELA5001  puts out 500 watts RMS at 2 ohms.   It's a bit much for the Alpine subs,  but as long as you set up the gain properly, it'll do just fine.  I think it's on sale for 170 dollars.  Let me tell you though.  My cousin's setup could almost outperform my high dollar setup....  which makes me jealous....
I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy either of the two setups I listed.  They'll both impress you and last a long while.  Not to mention, it'll cost less than the entire Visonik setup you mentioned,  even more so if you purchase all of the installation accessories from KnuKonceptz  (Just don't buy their Silver and Blue speaker wire... I don't think a rocket scientist could even figure out how to strip the casing off of it...)
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/70291/rpem/ccd/productDetailSpecification.do#tabs 

~wayland
Xplorer 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
I already have everything but the amp and it only cost me $215, i am about to get a kenwood excelon kac-811d amp for about the same ... will the setup b ok? just set the gains low? i am looking to b able to improve my subs in the future without having to get a new amp or wiring. this is what ive got for now...open to suggestions!
Peace
maaudio1 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
~AFAccord~ wrote:

forbidden wrote:
Bandpass looks cool but it is infact one of the quickest ways to destroy a sub.

Bandpass does slaughter subs.  The bad thing about it is with the higher and lower frequencies filtered out, it is very difficult to hear your subs distorting, and Distortion = Blown Subs.  Also without those higher and lower frequencies, it sounds boomy, but not very loud.  So what do you do? You crank up the volume, and that only adds to the distortion problem.  Bandpass is an older box style that has worn out it's welcome.  It's a recipe for disaster.   

I have to agree. I have run several bandpass enclosures in the past. Just because I was going for looks. But a bandpass will hide distortion, in return, distortion = blown subs.

2004 Mazda 3s Hatchback
2- MTX 4500 8" subs powered by MTX 251D
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic