Enclosures

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KrazyLoCo 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  

Hi All,

I did a lot of searching and researching and I'm still stumped. Basically, should I build a sealed, ported, or bass reflux subwoofer enclosure for my 10" sub?

Space isn't really an issue (I have a fairly large trunk ) so I could build a ported enclosure. All I want is loud, deep bass. What I really don't want is tight bass!

So basically, what is the best subwoofer enclosure for a 10" subwoofer that provides deep bass?

Thank you...

audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  

Definitely do a ported box..stay away from bandpass. Ported will give you the output you're looking for and since space isn't an issue it will work out perfectly.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  

Now that I reread your post...what 10" sub are you using. That plays a role in determining what enclosure will suit you best.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
KrazyLoCo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  

I have a Rampage 400watts 200RMS subwoofer.

I know it's bottom line, but it's all I can afford for now.

My "audio" friend told me that ported would sound the best... but it's not as pretty, with the sub being off center and all. But the sound is more important than the look for me so... it doesn't matter what it looks like... I just don't want tight bass! Lol I've have it before in a different setup and it really sucks...

Thanks for your reply.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 2:49 AM / IP Logged  
You don't want tight bass? Isn't that totally backwards?
"I like when things suck." Enclosures -- posted image. Just poking a bit of fun.
Seriously though, if you MUST use that sub then download and spend the time to learn a modeling program, build a large ported box with a low tuning frequency. Done and done.
What were you confused about?
What I'd do if it was me... I simply would never waste the time and effort building a box for that sub given what you're looking for. For the "deep bass" you're looking for, you simply have the wrong sub.
http://www.adireaudio.com/TextPages/TempestPageFrameText.htm
Sell some crap around the house and buy that instead. Large ported box tuned to 21hz. You'll be -3db in the mid 20hz range with some decent SPL to boot. This will boom.
Too tight? Guess there's a first time for hearing everything.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
KrazyLoCo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 5:29 AM / IP Logged  

Well I was told that "tight" bass was the bass that cuts off right away and sounds bad... sorry if I'm not current with the "audio lingo".

There are more important things in my life than the music in my car, so I am not going to go out and spend $500.

So with the information intertwined with your ridicule, and with audiobass10's posts, I think I'll go with ported.

Thanx a bunch.

kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I wasn't trying to ridicule, I had just never heard that request before and ended up having a couple glasses of wine at dinner last night. Usually the goal is to get the sound as tight as possible. Sealed is the enclosure most will suggest for top notch sound quality. I wish I knew exactly what you were talking about when you say, "tight." Most people use that to describe very good sound.
That adire sub, many times better for you, is $150, hardly $500. That part of the post wasn't intended to be ridicule at all, just a recommendation based on the fact that I honestly believe you have the wrong subwoofer for the sound you want.
But to each his own... take care with the box design and construction and you should be fine. Remember to use a subsonic filter. These come on many subwoofer amps. If you don't have one on yours then buy a harrison labs fmod. If you don't, you'll distort below the tuning frequency.
KrazyLoCo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply, kfr01.

I'll have to inform my friend that tight bass is good bass! Then what do you call the bass that cuts off right away and sounds bad?

I probably do have the wrong sub, but for now it's all I can do with. In the future, when I have some extra cash lying around, I will upgrade my system. I think it's the perfect sub to make my vert first box on, because I will most likely screw things up a bit...

So the final diagnosis: Do I go with sealed or ported, to get the deepest bass with THIS sub?

kfr01 
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I think you mean to say you want good low frequency extension.
I think the result you've heard in the past is poor low frequency extension.
I suggest you download an enclosure modeling program, find and plug in the t/s parameters for that subwoofer, and see what frequency response curves the estimated box size / types produce. Pick the one that looks the best to you. If you go ported try to push the tuning frequency down to or below 30hz. You may have to increase the box size to obtain a reasonably flat curve down to that point. Using this program you can find the correct port size and length as well.
WinISD pro is a freeware program that has this functionality. I highly recommend learning it. Let us know if you have any questions.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
I am just going to come out and say it, The ,low deep bass you are looking for you probably wont get with that 10.    I am running eclipse 10's and they still dont go as low as I want.    10's are not the ideal sub for low frequencys   below 35hz.    The Resonant Frequency on these subs is probably around 43hz.    It's goin to be very very hard to get low with this sub.    The only way to really get low is going to be with a sealed box.   
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic