2001 dodge ram starting problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dave3825us 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  

Hi peoples  I am new to this group and think my alarm/starter kill is acting up

I have a 2001 ram 1500 , a Dei remote starter and alarm wired into the keyless entry by the dealer.Every thing worked fine for like two years.
I can only start with the remote starter. When I try to start with the key all the relays click on but no start.While the truck is runing from the remote start ,I clicked the key to start position and heard the starter hitting flywheel so I know the ignition switch is good.
I disconnected the batt to only find out the computer loses memory and made it very hard to start.I have checked all fuses and they are good.
Went to an alarm dude and he did lots of testing and discovered that the starter kill (ignition 1 ) is not getting any power .Where does (ignition 1 ) get power from. I also check power to the starter relay and have constant power on terminal 30 and no power on 86 with key on the book says power should be on 30 with or without ignition on and power on 86 with ignition on, no power on 86.Then it says if no power on 86 with key on to check fuel pump fuse (huh??) the truck starts with the remote so why look at fuel pump fuse?
Has anyone seen this before or am I the first? It is nice to know if someone cracks my colum they wont get the truck started...
  If the starter kill is activated will the truck start remotely?
rknj01 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
my guess is there is a starter kill relay on ur ignition harness. the remote start is probably wired in after the relay. if there is a relay on the starter wire try taking it out and reconnecting the starter wire.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
Exactly, the starter wire is controlled by a relay and the vehicle side is energized remote start when the start button on the remote is engaged. My bet is failure of a relay or the key side of the starter wire is no longer connected to the starter kill relay.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
yea i don't know what that guy was talking about with the fuel pump and all, and actually i'm not really sure what you are talking about the starter output 30 having power all the time? that doesn't really make sence, a starter kill wire the 30 and 87a output should both be connected to the starter, and they really shouldn't have power unless something is cranking on the engine, you should prolly have a constant power to 85 (this might be ignition on) and then 86 will probably be a ground from your RS that is grounded when armed and also when running (for the anti grind), sounds like something here is f**ked up, because if your truck doesn't start with the key, but it will turn the starter when you have it running already, something is backwords, is this a starter kill or an ignition kill? things just aren't adding up here for me
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
unless dei sytems work on a normally closed set up, which is always energized, in that case it'd be all different, sooo i guess never mind, haha, i forgot dei does it the other way around, so that if the rs looses power so does the starter relay, i think, soo anyways, sorry for adding nonsence to this message bored
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
dave3825us 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 1:20 AM / IP Logged  

Captanham wrote:
yea i don't know what that guy was talking about with the fuel pump and all, and actually i'm not really sure what you are talking about the starter output 30 having power all the time? that doesn't really make sence,

Ok  the starter output terminal 30 having constant power and terminal 86 having power on with key on ,,,,, that is the starter solinoid relay in the power distribution center. The hayes manual lists testing procedures Under my dash coing out of the steering column there is a yellow wire that was cut and spliced to a single relay that is the starter kill.The alarm guy I went to refered the yellow wire as ignition 1 and it has no power with the key on     he said it should have power,but when the truck is running voltage is present .He put in like 4 different relays but there is no voltage on the yellow going to the relay from the column.I found a jumper where the clutch pedal would be (I have auto) and the wire is yellow and the manual says voltage should be present and is not.Truck will not start in gear so the neutral/park switch is working but the jumper I entioned is part of the starter circuit(it would be the clutch pedal switch  I tested the jumper for continuity and it passed.Its 2 11 am here and time for bed   I am going to try to bypass the starter kill later on and see what happens...

Thank you all for taking the time to read all this and help diagnose y problem

Dave

dave3825us 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 2:46 AM / IP Logged  
Should the yellow wire from the ignition have voltage?
dave3825us 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
Is my thread dead???

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic