Need Opinions For New System

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all and happy New Year

Me and the Wife are putting together a new system and I would like to have your valued opinions on it

First thing you need to know this is a  budget system $ 500 max
We Primarily listen to Industrial and Goth music but occasionally like to throw in some old Bass 305

Right now here are the system components which are installed

1.       Kenwood KDC-MP625 Head Unit Cost = $ 175.00

2.       4 Fosgate T152C’s Cost = $50.00

Its sounds great to us right now and were happy, but we want to add 2 12inch subs and an amp,

what were looking at are the following

1.       AUDIOBAHN ABP122T DUAL SUB BOX Cost = $150.00

2.       Profile AP2000 Amp Cost = $100.00

Now I’ve already read the forums on the audiobahn issues, SQ out of the subs are not a major factor in this, since the SQ from the Fosgate speakers are acceptable to us, we can just throw a toggle switch and turn the subs off, Were just looking for that punch you can hear a block away on occasion

As for the Profile were still both up in the air if this will even power 2 12inch subs at all

So the question is are then any other dual 12 in subs in a box with a Amp that can push them for $300 bucks, don’t be afraid to suggest a little higher “25% max” as on most audio equipment I can immediately save %50 right away going through my suppliers

Thanks all

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  

Scrap the Audiobahn and Profile amp idea. That amp and sub are a piece...

I would use some Rockford Fosgate P2 12s or something similar. They only need 200 watts continuous a piece. Put them in a built to spec ported box if all you want is boom. If you want tight controlled bass put them in a sealed box.

For the amp any 400 watt continuous amp will do the job as long as it's from a quality brand. RF, MTX, and Alpine, just to name a few, make excellent amps.

This amp http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTX421D and two of these subs http://www.cardomain.com/item/ROCP212S4 should be pretty loud. The subs are $103 each and the amp is $189 (which is a great price on that amp).

Whoever is your supplier is you might not be getting a warranty with the products you buy from them.

If you want to spend a little less on subs then I would use Rockford Fosgate P1, Alpine Type S, or JL Audio W0 12s. You can use a small amp from Lightning Audio or Blaupunkt (you can always get the Rockford Fosgate and JL Audio subs in 8 ohm versions so you could use a 2 channel amp with them).

skoldspuppy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you customsuburb,

I had not considered using a mono amp to drive the 2 subs

you are correct, I forego any manufactures warranty with the discount I receive

I will have my supplier setup a demo of the setup you suggested in a sealed box and try it out

as for the head unit and component speakers, what is take on it?

Thanks again

Skold

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
I agree, scrap the audiobahns and the profile amp. That is garbage lol... What you could do for around the same price range is this:
(1) P2002 - Rockford Fosgate 2 Ch. 600 Watt Amplifier - $140

This system will run 100 W x 2 RMS and 300 W x 2 WPEAK @ 4 ohms, which is all you need. This will be plenty for you if you like rockford fosgate sound. You'd spend $260 plus shipping, which is only $10 more excluding the shipping for a much better system. You can order all of that on www.woofersetc.com . They are very reliable and efficient. All items have warranty's so you are protected. The only thing left is a box, which shouldn't be expensive at all for so simple an application as this.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

The headunit and speakers are fine. They arn't the best but what matters is that you like them. I forgot to mention a box which would probobly put you over budget but I still think it will be a great sounding system. I would just try to find one in a store near you or from your supplier that is .85 cf or so if you are going sealed. And make sure it is built of at least 5/8 MDF. The reason why is because shipping can become really expensive.

If you do buy those P1 Rockford Fosgate woofers like uthink suggested instead of the P2s i suggested then I would use sounddomain.com insead of wooferetc.com. I just feel that they have better tech support and the same prices on those P1 subs.

I have heard two P1 12s in a sealed box with the same amp uthinkaudio mentioned im pretty sure playing some bass heavy rock music and they sounded pretty good. The P2s would definitely be louder and sound better but the P1s are good too. You might want to go to a local car audio shop or even best buy and listen to the P1 and P2 subs there.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
Uthink, you need to check your specs again. If he runs the set up you suggested he is only gonna be getting 50 watts a driver being that that amp is 50 x2 at 4 ohms and is not 2 ohm mono stable. A better match would be a rockford 3001 because it would put about 150 watts rms to each driver. I havent done much online buying so I dont even know what the difference in price is between the 2 but if it reflecs retail stores you should be able to make the upgrade for aout 50 bucks.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
skoldspuppy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks uthinkuknoaudio for your input

Right now I can get 2 of the  P2- 12's for just around the same price as you have listed for the P1's, so I wont downgrade on that.

As for the amp Im going to demo a couple RF including a classic power 1000, and a 1001BD that he has still in boxes wrapped.

good thing as long as I buy from my supplier he'll build me a box for no charge, so thats a plus
Im also going to take at look at my old car setup 12 years ago , I was using Orion XTRs and US amps, ive got to see if there still in business

Thanks

Skold

skoldspuppy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I just was able to demo 2 of the P2 12’s in a sealed box hooked up to a MXA4002, bridged and all I can say is wow the fosgates sounded great and I was surprised the MTX amp could  push these things to ungodly level of sound.

Only thing Im unsure of is he wired the subs In  parallel thus making a 2ohm load and then bridged them amp, the amp according to the specs from mtx cant function in ridged 2 ohm on bridged 4 ohm, have I gone crazy or did he just wire them separately

I just didn’t pay enough attention to it sorry for the extra work all

BTW I would like to thank all of you who have helped me with this, that’s what makes this the best Car audio forum out there

Laters

Skold

audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
Those MXA amps look very nice. I'll probably be getting the MTX MXA8001 to power my two tempests. They can be had fairly cheap refurbished on ebay. If you dont mind buying refurbs its a great idea.
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
redchevy99 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
If i was you id get a rockford fosgate power t1 12". I just got mine for 200 bucks. Im pushing it with a kenwood KAC-7201 800 watt amp. Its not the best amp but it makes that sub move. So if i was you i would get a power t1... the rms is 600 watts so you wouldnt need much amp to push it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic