icon

Who here uses vented enclosures?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
H2prix 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

I was just wondering how many ppl here use vented enclosures{port/ports along one side wall}, and how well do they sound?

I just ordered bass box pro 6 today, and im thinkin of building that type of enclosure to start things off, but i needed some info from ppl that have them,ya no.

Thanks.Brett

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
It's a challenge and can be a lot of fun designing and building a vented enclosure.  I use vented woofers in some of my home gear but the car sub is sealed.  Just a few design criteria to follow, such as keeping the end of the port away from any surface in the box at least the diameter of the port, running the port tube as far away from the woofer as you can but not closer to a side wall than the diameter of the port, make the port size as big as is needed for best response....   I haven't looked at that bass box program, but it's good that you are going that route.  You'll find out how big everything must be made and how the response looks on a graph.  Here is a page of a bunch of tools and calculators that could help you out:  http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
I do, i have a vented (slot ported on the front) enclosure for my 2 12'' Adire Brahmas. They sound fantastic. I've tried them out in a sealed as well and they are great too! Just build it right and you'll be straight!
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 4:10 AM / IP Logged  
9 of 10 boxes I build anymore or slot ported enclosures
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
bluetruck 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
i use sealed enclosures because they are easy and.. fiberglass. a well made/tuned ported enclosure will sound amazing though. if you have skills to build one it will be sweet.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic