icon

3 ignition wires?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Cjk440 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

I'm installing a remote start/alarm and it has 2 ignition wire 1& 2. But the vehicle wiring diagram shows that there are 3 ignition wires. What do I do?? Do I just combine 2 together??

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=1998&make=Ford&model=F%20Series&ID=17813&type=Alarm

swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
What make model alarm do you have. most alamrs have a 3 output that is a negitve and you have to wire a realy in.
wblakes 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
maybe this might help
http://www.designtech-intl.com/Content/techsupport/documents/section04/note234.pdf
biker8018 
Copper - Posts: 46
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
what i do is this. pin 85 power from one of the ignition wires.pin 87 12volt constant. pin 86 ground when running and pin 30 to your 3rd ignition
Papol 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  

hook up the the first two ign wires first.  test your remote start.  when u do this check and see if it will start, keep your foot on the brake to shut off if it doesnt work.  if not jump the 2nd and 3rd wires together.  also make sure everything turns on and the ac is blowing cold.

Cjk440 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  

Its a Bulldog Deluxe 62I

Wblakes- That link does nothing when I cut & paste it.

biker- thanks for the relay info

Papol- The truck will start with just 2 wires hooked up although the starter doesn't stop cranking. I suspect this is because none of the other wires are hooked up and the unit is programed to read tach signal (which isn't hooked up).

What do the ignition wires do? Supply power to engine controls like ign. coil etc?? I guess all three need power? Or sometimes will it run on only 2 ign hookups??

One thing I did notice that drove me nuts was the vehicle wiring chart off of bulldogsecurity site differs compared to the one I got off of here. ie bulldog says grey & yellow is ign 2 but 12volt says its accessory (blower motor). I put power to the grey / YELLOW and sure enough, blower motor. So I'm following 12volts chart.

http://bulldogsecurity.com/New%20Wires/New%20Wires/Wires/forfserieslightduty97-03.htm

versus

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=1998&make=Ford&model=F%20Series&ID=17813&type=Alarm

biker8018 
Copper - Posts: 46
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
it should run with just 2. The 3rd on a 98 ford 150 runs the a/c. A feature that come summer you will enjoy. Spend the time today and enjoy the spoils of your work come July

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic