icon

Mid-install questions / RS problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kosoku 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I am about 75% done installing a Prestige APS-786T into my 2003 Mazda B3000. After making all the starter / starter disable relay connections, and all of the main harness connections except the entry illumination, I decided to do a test run. I reconnected the battery, checked the lock/unlock. Everything ok. I made sure opening the doors when armed triggered the alarm and also tested the shock sensor. All good there.

When I went to start the truck with the remote, the only thing that happened was that the parking flashers blinked several times. The system made no attempt to turn the starter. I tried with the key in the ignition, to make sure I hadn't messed up the 556U install, but still nothing.

I took my time (about 12 hours so far) and made sure all of my connections were for the correct wires, but who knows. After the first 6 hours I was in a zombie state. Anyways, one possible culprit could be the hood pin. I chose not to install it. Not only could I not find an appropriate place to mount it, but I don't see a need for it. When I work on my own vehicles, the first thing I do is disconnect the battery. If I am going to have someone else work on it, I can disable the remote start via the control switch.

So for the wire (dark green) that triggers the alarm when the hood is open, and the wire (grey / black) that disables remote start when the hood is open, I just cropped them short and taped them up. The hood pin is a ground circuit, and when the hood is open it sends a ground through both wires, so just leaving them disconnected would have the same effect as the hood being closed if the switch were wired up, correct?

I'll have to do more troubleshooting tomorrow, but I would like to cancel out the hood pin as a culprit.

kosoku 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  

I forgot to add, I have scanned the wiring diagram from the APS786T and numbered the connections.

http://www.carmical.net/clay/temp/alarmschematic.jpg

In that diagram, the wires I have not connected and instead cropped and taped off are:

7, 13, 14, 19, 20, 21, 23, 27, 28-31

and also 11, the dome light wire, which will be wired up later.

draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
i believe on that unit, when the parking lights flash like that, its tell you something.....look in your book and see what it says....also will the truck remote start if you put the key in the ign. and try it?????
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
kosoku 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
No, I thought that too...maybe the immobilizer bypass wasn't working. I tried to remote start it with the key in the ignition (in the "off" position) but still no crank.
metaverse 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
Audiovox' have a remote start control switch..if you look in the diagram you posted, you should see one. Did you hook that up and turn it to on ? I have an APS-775 unit that has the same requirement..check that..
As for the hood switch, you are correct about taping up the wire. The switch is a normally open type switch..taping up the wire simulates that. However, as far as not needing a hood switch, I would think twice. If someone managed to get your hood open, without a switch, they can just cut the siren/battery wire and go to work on your car. I would not skip out on it..
Check out and post results of your troubleshooting..
kevindanielk 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 3:06 AM / IP Logged  

Have you performed the steps to learn the tach signal to the R/S? If not, the R/S will not try to crank. Instead, it will blink the park lights several times as a reminder for the installer to do the tach learning routine.

kosoku 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  

Kevin I think you hit the nail on the head. Now that I've had a good nights sleep I'm off to the garage. Thanks everyone! I'll update you once my day is over.

kosoku 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
Sure enough, the manual clearly stated the tach signal must be learned/programmed first. I got everything working today. Man, remote start is cool.
kevindanielk 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

Glad I could help out. And yes, remote start is one of the best accessories invented for the automobile.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic