Bypass Bose Amp and Keep bose Woofer?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
acclu97 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  

Hello... 

I recently replaced my head unit on my 2005 GMC yukon with a pioneer avic-n1....  I also added two amps, one for two jl audio 10w6's in the back of the car, and another for mbquarts on the doors.  The way it is wired, I bypassed the bose amplifier and I installed an external speaker to the pac-0s2 onstar interface so that I can still keep onstar functional.  

Now to my main question....  I really miss the feeling of having a woofer up front in the center console and was wondering if there is any way to keep the stock bose subwoofer running along with the rest of the upgraded system?  Would I need to buy a third amplifier to power this woofer?     THX

acclu97 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  

If anyone that is familiar with bose stock systems can give me some info I would really appreciate it....  

I am just not sure how to start going about this???

Thanks!

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

Two questions:

1.  did you use the CM1 (chime module)?

2.  did you use the factory speaker wiring or did you run new aftermarket wiring?

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  

it would be a good idea to amplify the factory woofer. You could run it off of the factory deck but you would need to use a cross over to get only low frequencies to the factory sub. That subwoofer is a dual voice coil four ohm sub. Probably not get a whole lot of juice going to it if you use the speaker outputs of the h/u. I nice little amp would be the way to go.

Jazzy

acclu97 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  

Esmith69: 

1) I did not use a chime module but am forgetting to turn on off my headlights when I have them on during the day so now I am thinking of getting one...

2) I ran wires from the amp to behind the head unit, and there I tapped into the factory wiring that goes out to the speakers...

jstruckman:

I was actually thinking about doing that but am not too sure how to get to the wiring that goes into the sub... Behind the h/u there are wires coming out of the h/u for front and back speakers (to the amp I guess), and then in another part, they go out to the actual speakers (i am guessing from the bose amp -->these are the wires I tapped into with my amp).  But I cant find anything for the woofer. I am guessing that since the woofer is in the center console, these wires are going directly from the bose amp to the woofer, thus why I can't see them???   Any idea how to get to the bose amp in this car??

BTW....  Thanks for the help guys!

acclu97 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
Not sure if I was too clear but this is what I saw:    H/U-----------BOSE AMP---------DOOR SPEAKERS    -->  I tapped into the wires from the bose amp to door speakers with my own amp.  But nothing for the bose woofer was found behind the H/U....
jstruckman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
there will be no subwoofer wires coming from the head unit. there are four channels of audio going into the bose amp, then they are split in the amp and the sub wires only come from the bose amp. I think the subwoofer wires are on a seperate connector on the amp. The wire colors for the subwoofer are:
Green: left +
Blue/Black:left -
Blue/white:Right +
Breen/Black:Right -
remember this is a dual voice coil sub
Jazzy
acclu97 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  

Any idea where to begin looking for the bose amp....   I am guessing it is in the center console but any suggestions on how best to get to it?   Thanks!

jstruckman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
yep. it is in the center console, not to hard to get to.
Jazzy
acclu97 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  

Jazzy...  I think I found it... 

I took out the center console and found a silver colored aparatus that I am 99% sure is the amp.  It has ridges accross the top, kinda like the old fosgate punch amps but this one is silver colored.  The amp has two plugs going into it....  One plug seems like it contains the front and back door speakers as well as some other wires, and the other plug has the exact same color wires you mentioned in your previoius post for the woofer, as well as some other wires too... 

Can I just tap into those four wires that are going into the amp, and run them to my amp?      If so, how should I do it...  Join the two positives (green and blue/white) and join the two negatives (blue/black and GREEN/ black) and then run these to the positive of one channel and the negative of the other channel of the amp (bridge the amp)?   I have a kicker zr-120 that I can use to run this woofer, would this be ok or too much?  

Thanks!

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic