icon

4ohm speakers to 2 ohms

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tim98 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 4:45 AM / IP Logged  

Ok this is my firt time posting. I did a search and could not find exactly what i was looking for. Heres the deal I have 2 kenwood 12 in single coil 4 ohm subs. my amp is a 1000watt  kenwood x520 http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productTypeId=11&sortBy=price&productid=2425#

it has a feature called "2 ohm stable". Now my question is can i hook up my subs in parrallel to equal a two ohm load and just hook it up to one channel (left or right) ......OR...... should i just hook up one speaker to the left channel and one speaker to the right channel.

Which one of these would be the best and what would the pros and cons be of each.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide 

wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  
yes you can do that with this ampbut it will still only give you 90 per sub so it is best run one sub to each channel and only get 90 per sub either way.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 6:35 AM / IP Logged  
or you could wire each sub in series to get 8 ohms and bridge on the amp to get 4.   That will give you 180watts per sub
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
Jeff...grab a cup of coffee.   lol   The amp outputs 360 watts with a 4 ohm bridged load but wiring two SVC 4 ohm woofers in series is a total 8 ohm load.  That's 90 watts per sub either way you do it.  I would use the bridged way rather than one sub on each channel.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
Ya man, I know the whole deal about how the amp will see half the mathamatical load such as an 8 ohm sub load will look like 4 ohms to the amp, but the amps are all rated assuming you are looking at the sub load not the amp load. Hence when an amp says it will do 360 x1 at 4 ohms its talking about sub load not amp load.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not following you on that, Ravendarat.  I would think a load is a load, whether it's called amp load or sub load.  IMO, the easiest way to figure it is to use the amp's bridged output rating (not the _ X 2 stereo rating)....know what your sub total load impedance is....and go from there.  If your subs wire up to 4 ohms, you've matched the rating.  So bridge it.  If they wire to 8 ohms, the amp will output half the rating.  Bridge the subs.  If they wire to 2 ohms...oops, you've let out the smoke  4ohm speakers to 2 ohms -- posted image. (when bridged to most two channel amps, that is...)
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
Its just what I have been told before. I was always told that an amp se's half the load of the subs. so if the sub is a single 4 ohm and you have one then the samp will actually see half. This is something I never fully understood but have told this is so many times over.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
tim98 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
So you think the best way for me to hook these up is to wrie the subs up in series and bridged to the amp. This is my first vehicles with subs in it. Do you think they are going to hit pretty good, or is the eight ohms going to be too much for this amp to get any good sound out of my 12's
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat wrote:
Its just what I have been told before. I was always told that an amp se's half the load of the subs. so if the sub is a single 4 ohm and you have one then the samp will actually see half. This is something I never fully understood but have told this is so many times over.

An amplifier "sees" exactly the load placed on it.  Amplifiers produce voltage.  The voltage is dropped across the resistance (in this case, impedence) contained in the circuit, producing current flow.  Since amplifiers can produce only so much voltage, whatever impedence is connected to an amplifier determines how much current will flow.

The confusion you are describing is when you connect two amplifiers together, commonly called "bridging."  When bridging, you are forcing two amplifiers to act as one.  In effect, the sum of their voltages is dropped across the total impedence load.  So, if a 4-ohm load is placed onto two amplifiers operating together, each amp will "see" or operate into half that load, or two ohms.  They share the total load equally.

Does this make sense?

Support the12volt.com
tim98 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2005 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
Ok so basically is it safe to hook up my two 4ohm speakers in parallel to create 2 ohms. then bridge the spaekers to my amp.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic