icon

No more sales

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Uniqueauto 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

Gm is now putting remote starts in from the factory on some of the 2005 models and many more on the 2006 models. I see a trend from other car makers in the near future. Does anyone think remote start sales will drop drastically (running many shops out of business) in the near future?

swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
Chrysler has thsi also came out about abotu 2 years ago, but only as a dealer add on.
I work for jeep and they have a lot of factory stuff. Now they dvd players in the over head, nto sure ho wlong they had these.
Not sure what the future is for shops. Most of us agree that a lot of factory stuff sucks but a lot of people dont care who makes there stuff, and with buying it form the dealer you can jsut include it in the price when you buy a car.
audifive 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

we are going to have to let people know how incredibly expensive that factory equipment is compared to how well it works.  i havent heard any opinions on them yet, but if factory rem. starters have the same range as factory keyless entry, then you might as well go and start your car manually to let it warm up.  if the 20ft factory range is the option in new cars, then i think business may get even better.  as far as audio and video goes, when something goes wrong the customer usually goes to the dealer first.  they go to the dealer and find out a new head unit will be over $500 or a new overhead screen will be well into the $1000-2000 range.  thats when they come to shops and let us know how the dealers want to rip them off and how the equipment shouldnt have failed in the 1st place.  hopefully, (so we all still have a job/hobby), people will realize that aftermarket equipment installed properly always works out to be cheaper and of better quality than the factory equipment.

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
The 2004 Malibu was first offered with the OEM installed remote start as about a $200 option I believe. As mentioned more and more models are being offered with it: 2005 Pontiac G6, 2005 Buick LaCrosse, 2005 Cadillac STS to name a couple. This is both good and bad for us.
In a good way it will make people more trustworthy of remote starters in general since the factory is offering them. There are still a ton of people who think they ruin your electrical system, etc. I still remember the service manager at a local dealer telling me not to install the starter kill because he's seen "dozens of starters burned out because of them". OK buddy whatever you want.
In a bad way the factory ones can do things that ours can't. Example from the Cadillac exert:
"You can also opt for the new Adaptive Remote Start system, which will start the vehicle from distances of up to 200 feet. The latter system will also warm or cool the car, as needed, and turn on the front and rear defrosters, if necessary."
Sure we can beat the 200 feet, but warm/cooling as needed and automatically turning on the rear defrosters? Might be a while for us to get there although some cars do have the auto settings never really played with them much. Also I think they turn on the heated seats as well. Sure we can do that, but once you start adding in all these small things the price tag is going up to where most people aren't interested.
Now the other good thing. Like any other accessory the dealer can't read minds of who will want it and who won't. They won't order every car in stock with one. They will still get people who want one, and thats when the dealer calls us up to install one.
Much like overhead TV's the dealers have been offering them for a looong time now, and we still do a TON of them as the dealer doesn't order every unit with a TV.
I will admit since the malibu has been offered with it from the factory, we've only put in 1 or 2 on malibu's, but I believe that's for other reasons. (One of our guys got stuck on one so our sales guys may have been turning them down, not sure..)
As always the industry is always going to be changing the shops that stay on top of things will stay alive, the ones still pushing a head and 2 might be in trouble..
Mike
mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 6:49 AM / IP Logged  
How many cars come with a CD player in them? How many CD decks do you sell now? I think at first it might drop some sales, but when the factory equipment starts to fail or people realize that there is a lot better equipment out there, things will be ok.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
I can get a factory remote start for my VW. Now.... it has a whopping 40 feet of range (uses factory fob). To me, that just won't cut it. Pretty sure our jobs are okay for the next 5 years or so.... until hybrids/electric cars start becomming more popular. (Has anyone done a starter on an Insight or Prius yet?)
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
audifive 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

have any of you heard of the new 42 volt standard for vehicles?

check it out - http://www.caraudiomag.com/specialfeatures/0307cae_42volt/

seems like its going to change everything.  what do you guys think about this???

misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
i work at a gm dealer doing alarms and stuff. the range on them is a little better than factory, but not by much. on the malibu and caddy they turn on the rear defrost automatically like stated in an earlier post. they are not perfect though. i r.s a new sts and it overcranked like a bear. once in a while i will see it on a malibu as well. the sts however was not in production when i tested it. i still do a ton of alarms on the cars with factory r/s. the price on the factory piece is only 150
243_shooter 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

The mopar remote starts are nothing more than aftermarket units with a fancy harness that plugs into the ignition switch.  They still use a bypass module with antenna that goes around the ignition switch, a tach wire, etc...  Essentially the same as installing an aftermarket, except the wires going to the ignition switch plug in.

I've done a ton of them so far (carvans, rams, pacifica's, 300's, Magnums and 05 dakotas) and they seem to work well.  They have range comparable to the aftermarket units we install (designtech). They are available for virutally all chrysler products now, except I Think Neon.

They are just a basic remote start, nothing fancy.  They do have some distinct advantages, including individual fuses for the ignition and parking light ckts, and relays of sufficient capacity to operate the blower motor on the new rams (use a relay to run the blowers on these trucks!).

The disadvantages are cost (they are far from cheap), and it's just plain boring to put them in, no fun to it at all ;)

Leo

eurotek 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

i agree with mobil1

our sales will more than likely increase with the remote starters

not all vehicles will come like that, and once the vehicle is on the lot, the dealer is reluctant to install the factory unit when the aftermarket is better and less expensive

KIA offers it on their sorento, works from about 50 ft

the only thing i have seen affect sales is ebay and online stores that sell near wholesale...

im actually involved with a project to kinda join retail shops across america together.. its a way of increasing sales and keeping them in their hometown.  hopefully this will help increase sales in the aftermarket sector, and not the dealer sector. 

more and more, and now at a faster pace, manufactures are trying to keep more profits in their pocket, i guess they dont know how to sell cars anymore, so they have to infringe on our business.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic