icon

good 1/2 din equalizer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mike86ttype 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
Looking for 1/2 din equalizer for under 100 that can drive my front 3.5 and rear 6x9. i have a screen and dvd player and have no room for a headunit only have 1/2 din
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
EQ's dont drive speakers, they manipulate the signal. What are you trying to accomlpish with the eq and are you using an amp to run your speakers?
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
Dont waste your money on EQs, they dont really seve much of a purpose in modern car audio. Get a small 4 channel amp to power the speakers instead.
To Ravendarat: A guy I know has a fairly old, and pretty big EQ that powers his one Polk sub. Im not sure how many watts it puts out, but enough to make the sub loud.
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
Umm pimp, I've never heard of an eq/amp combo. Think you could nab some pics of it or find one on the net. I've seen some strange stuff before, but nothing like that.
Paul
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

eqs only send signal voltage, and they are very important in a system even today. why are they still made if they aren't so useful. Do you have any experience with them?

Mike you should check out audio control products, they are pretty good and affordable.

Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  

many people use EQ's to make the bass louder (not many, but a lot), and they have no clue that EQ's are supposed to be used to get a flat(er) frequency response.  Oh well.

Audiocontrol products are just about the best.  Perhaps you are talking about a crossover, and not an EQ??

-Drew

Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
I use the Alpine ERE-G180. Its awesome. Fronts and Rears in and out with fader.  Sub in and out with independent level control and crossover control, plus optional phase reverse, 0-180.  Its a solid unit.  Don't listen to what other people say about EQ's. They are really usefull, especially if you listen to a broad range of music styles.  I Find it much more pleasing to manually tune in or tune out frequencies using a physical slider, than trying to navigate  buttons for an hour.  That being said a lot of the newer head units have many sub control and eq settings built right in. So you have to see if its right for you. etc.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
I personally think EQ's are pretty usefull, as long as the person using it knows how to use it. Personally I use and audiocontrol 3.1 for an indash preamp and am very happy with it. Eclipse makes a decent in dash eq, as does pheniox gold. The reason why I asked wat you are trying to acomplish is because I was trying to figure out if you needed an eq or a crossover or something else. To the pimp up top, if its driving a sub the its an amp. It may share the same chasis as an eq, but its still an amp because EQ's by definition cannot drive speakers, only manipulate the signal.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
sbcaprice305 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  

i like eq's as well...check out the clarion 744 at   www.ikesound.com

worked great for me and has aux inputs

phuzun 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
Had a friend once, bought some radio shack sub, put it in a cardboard box.  Then wondered why it sounded like sh*t in his pickup.  I told him he needed a crossover and amplifier.  He got an active crossover from radio shack, then still wondered why it wouldnt move.........finally someone just broke in and stole his cheap sub.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic