icon

2005 Montana security light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
don-key1 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  

I had one previous post regarding my power door locks , which I haven't had time to look at yet. My install went well and everyting WORKED, but now, about 4 days later my passkey3 security light has come on.

Everything is working , parking lights, fan blower motor,  etc; on remote start, there are no other warning lights, transmission or shifting problems, if I start my van with key ONLY there are no warning lights, and everything is normal.  If I remote start and then insert the key , the light still stays on.The only thing that makes the light go away is to turn off the van (either by pressing the remote button , pushing  the brake pedal or turning the key to the off position).

Could the computer know that there is something not quite right ,could there be a diode required somewhere(if this was the case wouldn't I have had a warning light from day 1?)  Like I said, it worked fine for 4 days and now this, I don't mind a light ,and I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to fry anything, but maybe someone here can help.

It's a 2005 Pontiac Montana with no factory alarm system. I used a ct-3300  R/S with a DEI 555G bypass module, no other aftermarket accessories or any special gadgets. I did NOT use any diodes or relays in this install ,only the 2 modules and their respective wires as shown in the "direcwire" schematic. I double checked my connections (yes they are all soldered and taped), and they're still all good (other wise the R/S wouldn't still be working, right?).

Thanks again.  Don.

There's no such thing as a stupid question!
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
555G has known issues when used on data based PK3 systems.   DEI's tech solution is 556U (key inthe box). I use the PKG5 on data PK3 systems, and it works well. 555G will not cause any starting problems, but will "hang" the light on take over every once in a while.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
don-key1 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

I forgot to mention that when trying it last night, about 8 times,  I just remembered that the warning light came on every time except once ( on that one occasion I think I just put the ignititon key next to the cylinder (without actually putting the key in)and the security light went out) . Which means you're probably right.

When you say you have had good luck with the 555u,  does this mean you NEVER have the security light come on?

Just for curiosity why would the light come on?,  any theories?,  does the computer see two transponder signals at once ?, is there a timing problem when the R/S or bypass module(s)  are activated?Also

Are there any long term effects for  this problem as far as driveability ,electrical problems  or anything else other than an annoying dash warning light? 

Where can I get a 555u and how much? I'm located in Montreal, Canada.

don-key1 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  

The security light is on as soon as I start the van by R/S and will stay on as long as I leave the van running.The light doesn't just come on as the ignition key is inserted into the cylinder; this is what I think you mean by  "take over", it's already on before putting the key in ( sorry if I seem repetitive, I'm making sure I'm as clear as possible). I forgot to mention that when trying it last night, about 8 times,  the warning light came on every time except once ( on that one occasion I think I just put the ignititon key next to the cylinder;  without actually putting the key in, and the security light went out) .

When you say you have had good luck with the 555u,  does this mean you NEVER have the security light come on?

Just for curiosity why would the light come on?,  any theories?,  does the computer see two transponder signals at once ?, is there a timing problem when the R/S or bypass module(s)  are activated?Also

Are there any long term effects for  this problem as far as driveability ,electrical problems  or anything else other than an annoying dash warning light? 

Where can I get a 555u and how much? I'm located in Montreal, Canada.

Thanks for a quick reply, Don.

don-key1 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  

So sorry about the double post.

Please ignore the first one since I added more information in the second posting.

Don.

gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
Just a lovely amber glow from the DIC. By going to the 555U/556U, you will be having to sacrifice a programmed key. These are universal transponder interfaces, utilizing an antenna coil around a key, and another antenna loop for around the factory transceiver in the column. When the remote start process is initiated, the antenna is put into circuit, allowing the factory system to remotely read the key that is in the box. Kinda neat, but you have to give up a key. Try to find an Autostart dealer, and see if they have a PKG5, or any other data based solution other than the DEI one. The DEI 555G is a great product, but there is a slight software glitch that it does have, and you are seeing the results of it. I use the 555G for fuel interrupt systems primarily, and it is flawless. Or, you could just live with the light.... I am not sure of the long term affects of having the light on.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
don-key1 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  

I just bought a 555u and a pk3 key blank on Ebay for 52 dollars (CANADIAN) for both. I called the GM dealer and he told me 57 dollars, plus tax just for the key , and 50 dollars for the 555u from Best Buy online.

Why is everything so damned expensive here in Canada?

I''ll give this combination a try  when it gets here and I'll keep everybody posted.If it doesn't work I'll have some  parts for sale!

bruc007 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

I just finished an 03 montana and used the new gm by pass from canadian tire it plugs into the rs 3300 and all u do is hook up the data wire to the purple data wire on the obd2 connector and it programs itself . works great             Gm-DT1000 about $48

DanDan 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
I just installed a DEI 561t remote start with a 555g bypass on an 04 Caddy Deville and the security light comes on when remote started. When I insert the key in the ignition the light goes off and no other problems I thought, but once in a while I would get a service anti theft system indicator on the instrument panel. I called DEI's tech support and was put on hold for and hour and told that was normal. I have used Omegas bypass before and never had an issue. Normal? Give me a break. I can see this vehicle coming back. DEI needs to fix the glitch.
DanDan
don-key1 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all the replies, I have to  wait for my 555u seeing that I just ordered it yesterday.

BRUC007, how long ago did you do this particular install, could you let me know if your security light has or will come on within the next few days until I get my stuff. I wish I had waited a day or two , then I could have tried your set up.  Ahh well... , live and learn.

By the way does anyone think I will have any problems with the 555u on my Montana.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic