RS and keyless entry on 87 Cherokee

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Timmay!!! 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

I used this site before to install a Commando system on my 98 dodge and figured you might be able to help me with this install.  I have an 87 Jeep Cherokee that I am trying to install a Commando RS560 pak into (remote starter, alarm, keyless entry).

First, I can not figure how to hook up the system to unlock the doors.  I believe the jeep is a 3-way ground system.  Do I need to use a relay?  I have tried many ways without the relay but they have not worked.

MY next problem is the remote start does not try to start.  When I press the unlock or lock button I can hear the system arm and disarm as well as the lights flash but when I try to use the remote start, nothing happens at all (not even a click from the unit).  I have tested using a voltmeter and the system does not output any voltage to the starter, ign, etc...  I have the one wire that must be grounded connected and I believe the system should work without any other sensors.  Any idea where I am going wrong?

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.  Tim

dearfriend 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
Slim chance, but might work. I had same problem with mine starter. Spent a week figuring it out. When I was pulling hood pinswitch wire through the firewall hole, accidently scratched the insulation on the wire. So at all times it had an "open hood" signal, that allowed for all opearations except starting.
One in a million, but who knows... Hope it helps!
Timmay!!! 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
Actually I have not hooked the hood pin switch up so it should not be grounding.  Thanks, I wish that was it...  Tim
dearfriend 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
Obviosly you know what you're doing, but basics are always good to go back to. Want to try to simulate this test? :
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/pdf/relayharness.htm
Good luck!
Timmay!!! 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
hmmm, I don't have a bulldog so I don't think that will work.  There are no "extrenal" relays on my system...  :(  Tim
Timmay!!! 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
hmmm, I don't have a bulldog so I don't think that will work.  There are no "extrenal" relays on my system...  :(  Tim
dearfriend 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
sorry - I meant you can use your wires to see if they do the same thing.
In this case:
yellow/black - starter
red - 12V constant
WHITE/ black - accesory
white - ignition 1
WHITE/ black - ignition 2
and steps are : http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/pdf/newrstest.htm
Just substitute their colors for yours, see if you get the same results. Sorry for the confusion.
dearfriend 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Oops, scratch line: WHITE/ black - ignition 2 from the post above. Sorry
Timmay!!! 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
Ahhhh, ok I will try that.  I am just wondering because when I click on the remote start button, the unit does not seem to attempt to start the car, ie, no voltage to the starter, ign etc...  Thanks for your help.  Tim
Timmay!!! 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  

OK, now I feel stupid.  The newer units have RS disabled, I went into setup mode and it worked fine.

Any ideas about the locks though?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic