icon

dual batteries

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
turbopseidon 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
I have one optima battery upfront and one for the rear what is the best way to hook this up...I should start with what I am working with its a 1990 talon TSI Turbo I keep killing my battery running my stereo it has an 80 amp alterator and I feel my charging system is not upto pushing all my stereo and neons and my plan is to put the second battery in the rear to run my neons and stereo but only want it to drain my rear battery and not my starting battery how should I go about wiring this all up... so when I turn the car on like normal it drains the rear battery and not the front... I know I have to get an issolator what size ?thanxs for any help in advance..
jer...
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

I like using a diode isolator (also known as a passive isolator), and was reasearching it for my system a while back, so the below applies to diode isolator installs:

well, since it is only an 80 amp alternator, you'll only need an 80-amp isolator, and can probally get away with a 60-amp one (although I wouldn't try).  As far as hookup....you want to have a wire from the alternator to the isolator center terminal, and then from each of the terminals, you run a big wire to each of the batteries (the one in the front and the one in the back.  From there, you just make shure the back battery has a really solid chassis ground, and you're ready to go.  Just hook your amps and lights up to the rear battery.  Also, if your amps are sitting right next to the battery, go ahead and ground the amps to the negative battery terminal.

There are other options, like an active isolator, which is (basically) just a solonoid that lets current throught when it is needing to charge, and then disconnects when you don't need too.  This setup has advantages and disadvantages, but I prefer the passive isolator because you just install it, and you never have to touch it, and also a diode is alot more dependable than a solonoid (no moving parts to break, etc.)

-Drew

vinspo 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
You really need to upgrade your alternator first, a second battery is only going to compound the problem. As far as the isolator goes, you need to calculate current draw on second battery to determine the size of it. (amperage draw of all equipment connected to battery)
turbopseidon 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
I have looked into having my alternator rebuilt to make it handle more amps..over 100 I am guessing..I am running about 800 watts for the amps...and a bunch of neon accessories .. how do you know what kinda issolator to use I want the simplest one...thanxs,.
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
first of all your altenator stops charging the battery after it senses the right voltage.
the only way for that not to occour is if you had your system running at max volume the minute after you start your car and continuously never lowering the volume. hence altenator would never see the expected voltage to shut down charging mode and decrease current. this is also why you system sounds the loudest and cleanest right after you start the car. because there is two power sources feeding accessories. but who the heck would do that not me, hopefully no one. unless they were trying to show off or something. now before i explain what you can do before you upgrade alt. i will give you a little tip, neons dont take a lot of power. to prove that i once hooked up an entire underbody single transformer neon kit to a nine volt battery. which may or may not have been new. but it stayed on for well over an hour. now thats nine volts and the batt is small now image a 12 volt battery normal state and that same battery at aprox 13.5 when car is running. well my point is that if street glow puts more than 50 neons in there show car and never even think of a second battery or anything(car not running) than you should not have to worry about it unless you have a short than it will not matter how many batteries or amps your alt has.
now back to original post. traditional battery diode isolaters suck. especially for the sound person why 2 reasons
1 unneccessary noise introduced into the power lead.
2 a drop in voltage in and outputs of the isolator.
now you have to have an isolator simple cause your batteries will compete against each other at resting state (no power being used) and the weaker batt will begin to brake down.
same thing take two nine volts and put them together they get hot and maybe one starts to leak battery acid or the acid just decais inside and the battery or batteries both die. pretty much the same thing.
now its really simple and not expensive
buy a pac bg12 and a pac 200 amp relay(non diode isolator)
than wire your trigger through the voltage sensor/warning module (bg12) than wire up the relay the two main large terminals are for the power lead and the two small terminals are for the relay trip.
that unit alows you to monitor and set voltage to turn off the back battery ( which all things should be connected through after fuses) so that if you sit in a parking lot there is three led's on the box which in my car have be desoldered and relocated above my voltage guage. any way there is a green-good. yellow- warning and red- dead. well depending on the set voltage red or even yellow would de activate the relay so that your main battery would not be affected. and thats sounds like what your looking for. help this really helps instead of the dead posts already posted. no offence but there just not informational.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
turbopseidon 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  

so your saying that I shouldn't need 2 batteries? 1 optima deep cycle should work....I see guys at shows and bumping there stereos with one optima yellow top deep cycle and they do this almost all day and they never kill there cars...but me I can leave mine on for about an hour and I kill the thing.. and if my car sits for about a week after a full charge the thing is dead...I don't get why my car keeps draining power so much...I know that the talons charging system rilly sucks..but is there a way to upgrade the wiring for better power transfer  or maybe my 80 amp alt just isn't cutting it...I liek the idea of just one battery...but i don't wanna keep draining my battery thanxs...

jer...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic