icon

# Of RCA's for a 4 channel amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
acclu97 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
Currently my radio has 3 preouts...  The subwoofer outs I am using to go into a 2 channel amp for the woofers, the rear outs I am using to go to a small 2 channle amp that will power a stock bose woofer in the center console. I am thus left with on more output (front) and am going to be using a four channel amp for my highs...  Can a four channel amp run all 4 channels with only one set of outputs coming from the head-unit or do I need to have both front and rear avaialbe to the amp?  If so, how ? Thanks!
MrSector9 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  
I would split the sub rca's and then use your front and rear RCA's normally on the 4 channel so your fader/balance will work correctly.Also your sub level control will also work according to the subs.
BJ White
acclu97 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  

Is there anything in particular that I need to use to split the rca's or should I just look for a y-adapter?  Also, where can I find one online?  Thanks

MrSector9 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 2:28 AM / IP Logged  
Use a y adapter or I guess you coudl build your own if you have some rca ends (male and female) and some good wire.In reality thoguh way easier and probably cheaper to jusy buy a ready made unit.I am not sure where online woudl have them but any home audio or even electronics shop should have them there.
BJ white
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 3:24 AM / IP Logged  
All you will do is loose the ability to FADE......................
acclu97 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  

So I technically can do it without needing the y-adapter adn just lose my ability to fade?  How would this work?  I read somewhere that I would put into the rca into the 1/2 channel input and set the"input mode" on the amp to two channel instead of 4 channel.  Doing it this way there would not be anything plugged into the input for channels 3/4?

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
depends on your amp. it may have have the ability so  split the signal up to all four channels. What amp is it? If it does have this ability, you  probably will lose your ability to fade, but the check the amp. let us know.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
also make sure the 2-channel amp doesn't have preamp outputs on it.  If it does, then you can just plug the rca's from those outputs to the rear-channel input on the 4-channel amp.  OR if your 4-channel amp has preamp outputs, then you can run all the RCAs from the head unit output into the 4-channel amp, then plug the rcas for the 2-channel amp into the preamp outs on the 4-channel amp.
If neither amp has preamp outputs, then set the switch on the 4-channel amp to "2-channel mode", and just plug in the rcas from the front outputs of the head unit.  Usually they'll have a little diagram on the amp itself, showing you which channels 1+2 or 3+4 to input to, though most of the time it's the two front channels (1+2 usually).  You will lose your ability to fade, but the sound quality will be better than if you use Y-connectors.
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Blinden 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged  
but he said he's using an actual sub output, which is a non-fading output in most cases, so this isn't going to do anything for his ability to fade anyways...
also, why not just run one more set of RCA's?
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X579 HU
More on the way...
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  

Ok I kind of misread that.  That's what I get for going on the forums at 2:23AM# Of RCA's for a 4 channel amp? -- posted image.

I'm assuming when you say the "highs", you're referring to speakers that will receive a full-range signal, or a high-pass signal at least.  Does the stock bose woofer get a crossed over signal or does it need the same signal that's feeding your subs?

also, do any of your amps even have preamp outputs?  cuz if not, then all this talk I brought up about using the preamp outputs is essentially meaningless# Of RCA's for a 4 channel amp? -- posted image.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic