icon

amp to push my brahma

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
alright, well after months of just having my brahma sitting in my room and my friends and 'rents breathing down my back to put it in i decided to actually start doing something about it. i'm still debating which amp to go with though. after reading and reading and more reading, i've sort of narrowed it down to
Cadence Z9000
Planet Audio AP500.2
Hifonics Brutus 1550
Planet Audio TT850
I would like to find an eclipse amp that would be a nice match but can't seem to do that.
A few questions, obivously a monoblock amp would be better than bridging an AB amp right? Also, any other amps you all might suggest? I'm wanting to push about 800 watts continuous to the sub.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
The HiFonics is the best deal out of those. The Cadence amp is probably the best out of those (just ask uthinkuknocaraudio about how great cadence is lol). But it also more expensive tehn the Hifonics.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
The MTX 1501D is a pretty good amp. http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTX1501D It's got a pretty good price for a 1500 watt continuous amp. It's less than the Hifonics amp also.
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
i was looking at that one, but i'm always afraid of blowing the sub. i mean after all it was a lot of money of a college kid and i would really prefer not to have to buy another one. looking on adire's website it said it could hangle up to 1600 watts rms, but that is thermal only. what does that mean? if i were to throw the 1500 that the mtx pushes at the brahma would i be pushing the limits on the sub?
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

hightek wrote:
i was looking at that one, but i'm always afraid of blowing the sub. i mean after all it was a lot of money of a college kid and i would really prefer not to have to buy another one. looking on adire's website it said it could hangle up to 1600 watts rms, but that is thermal only. what does that mean? if i were to throw the 1500 that the mtx pushes at the brahma would i be pushing the limits on the sub?

Hell no. It would love every second of it. Just make sure to set your gains properly. That sub is capable of taking tons of power..Remember distortion blows speakers, not power. 2000-3000 watts could be thrown at that sub if you know what ur doing..not saying you should do that..just saying it can be done.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
phuzun 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
Isnt the brahma dvc 2 ohms each?  I'm fairly sure thats what they claim.  The hifonics looks good, put it in a 1ohm and get 1500, or play it safe and go 4 ohm with 500. 
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
If your looking at money and the bang for your buck, i would go with a kenwood 811d 1000w at 1ohm and i will stand by this amp and a good place to get it is locustaudio.com 235.00 not a bad price at all and I know you will be happy with this amp. it is a very powerful amp and this amp is has very very clean power. i know lost of people on this forum do not like the kenwoods, but I say if they used this amp I think they would change their mind.
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
alright, well i'm sort of bringing up an old post but i figure it's better than starting a new one. basically, i'm getting pressured from friends (and family) to get my new system in. i was always taught not to succumb to peer pressure, oh well amp to push my brahma -- posted image. so i'm back at looking at amps for a brahma. originally i was set on getting a cadence amp, but after actually sitting down and looking at my overall money situation (i just did my taxes) i'm not quite sure i'm ready to spend that kind of money on my system.
i've started doing some lookin into on JBL amps. any suggestions on these? i was also looking at the MTX 15401 D as mentioned up above. any suggestions there too?   the other option i'm lookin at is this Xtant amp. i found on the classifieds forum on here. here's teh link https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=47051&KW=xtant
the cadence amp i was looking at was a high current D class amp. is this any different than other D class amps?? i'm just wondering if it will draw more power or not. basically i'm starting from scratch for amp ideas and any suggestions are welcomed. i'm leaning more on the SQ side of things, but i always like the "bump" if i need it.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
If you got the cash, Cadence is the answer (thanks for the mentioning above)... Cadence is clear and clean power. I highly recommend it over the other ones. That Z9000 has plenty of power. Maybe you'd also consider a ZRS-8.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
i think first of all you need to figure out your budget, then figure out what you want to achieve.  for sq on that sub i would use a stereo class ab amp bridged into 4 ohms, decent ab amps have a better thd than class ds, and at 4 ohms you will have more 'headroom' because the amps dampening factor at that ohm load will control the sub better,  basically less slop.  the class ds you can probably pick up cheaper and they will be nicer than a comparably powered class ab to your electrical system.  ie:no extra battery.  hope this helps you with your decision.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic