icon

power wire came off amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blg748 
Copper - Posts: 194
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
ok while i was drivign today i turend on my deck to lisetn to music components work fine no bass was like ok w/e come home turn off car the POWER WIRE CAME OFF THe one amp which is directly connected to battery a 2 guage. the aactual ring terminal is still ont he amp just the wire is lying on some carpet. what do i do i was told not to just re crimp it back on cuz i may get shocked. do i discconect the power wire from the battery and then re crimp or do i discconect negative battery terminal or what do i do exactly thanks!
Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

take out the fuse between the battery and the wire. use a new connector don't re-crimp the old one

vinspo 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
Disconnect pewer wire from the battery, remove ring terminal from amp and attach to cable. Before you reconnect power you need to disconnect ground on the amplifier. Check your fuse on power cable as it may have blown. Now you can reconnect power cable on both ends. Reconnect ground cable and your done.
vinspo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, if you are using crimp connectors, make sure to use a new one.
blg748 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

will i not get a shock if i touch the power + cable on battery im not gonan be home for 2 hrs is it ok to do it then or iwll i be draiging my batterly by leaving the wire the way it is?

so what i do is take wrench unscrew power + from battery and remove that wire completely from battery (i dont think i can discconectwire from fuse exactly its a weird fuse holder easier to remove from battery) and then go buy a new ring terminal also cut off the end near amp of wire to make a good new crimp?

vinspo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
You will not get shocked by just touching the + on your battery, but you should always disconnect the ground wire on the battery first whenever doing electrical work. The repair is a fairly simple job, so you should not have any problems. As far as it draining your battery the way it is now, it will blow your fuse before that happens if wire is shorting to chassis.
blg748 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

ok i disconnected everythign. even the rcas and remote turn on. to install the amp again do i disconnect battery ground then connect amp ground then connect amp power then power wire to battery and then connect the battery ground again ?

my fuse was ok on both the POWEr wire and in the amps. i dunno why this thing came loose

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
blg748 wrote:

ok i disconnected everythign. even the rcas and remote turn on. to install the amp again do i disconnect battery ground then connect amp ground then connect amp power then power wire to battery and then connect the battery ground again ?

Yep that's correct.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic