icon

Ported or sealed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
redchevy99 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 2:47 AM / IP Logged  
the weakest system ive ever heard was 2 JLW6V2 10"s. my first system i ever had would put that to shame. and it was 2 pioneer 12"s and a sony amp....hahaha. JL is overpriced and overrated.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
Not to be a jerk here - but JL makes good woofers. It makes little to no sense to compare different setups in different cars.
My hunch is that most of the negative experiences were related to enclosure and/or installation issues.
On the sealed / ported question.... this choice might be part of the problem. I think too many people just pick one because of some one-liner they hear from their friends, "ported hits harder." They don't take the time to realize that poorly executed, i.e. slammed into too small of a box, a high tuning frequency can destroy low frequency extension.
That said, Jeff is right, if max output is a concern for you, then go ported. BUT DO IT RIGHT. Download some enclosure modeling software and carefully follow the volume and more importanty port specifications on the design you choose. You can then easily compare the estimated frequency response curve to a sealed box for the same driver. These programs can't estimate distortion or transient response, but they'll give you an idea about what to expect the frequency response to look like.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
H2prix 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
Once u go ported u'll never go back to anything else!
H2prix 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  

Oh and about JL audio, I do not like the brand my self either..Not because of their quality or overpriced equipment..Just the fact, everybody in every town has a pair, and think they're the best..I've heard many great JL setups, and some horrible ones..

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic