icon

install related problem?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  

i installed a  deck and sub/amp setup in a 1994 chevy 1500 today.  about 45 min later i got a call at work from the customer saying the lights went out on the way home, wipers stopped, and the battery sad 9 volts.

i about sh*t.

i used a GM battey tap at the battery.... so thats basic enough.  i ran (fused) through the firewall (grommet) to the amp and grounded it from there.  so thats all normal.

i did the check in and out list, everythings was fine except for the check engine light on the dash and some minor broken trim peices.  i drove it out with the new deck on a local radio station and the subs thumpin.  i saw no voltage or battery indicator lights on and i even remember playing with the dimmer for the dash lights when i was getting out to make sure the interior lights were working (non functional lights with the door trigger.

all  i can think of is the alternator taking a dump.  i dont know if it was original (well over 100k miles).  maybe the new load from the amp stressed it while it was on the edge.  it sounds like the vehicle ran off the battery for a few miles then failed from not chargning.

any input?

MECP certified installer
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
That sounds about right, I have some installs with the alternator taking a dump after an amp, Sometimes the alt is about to go and then the added stress of an amp does it. have him take the alt to get checked out. and just explain it to him that this happens.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
wow,   I havent had this happen yet..Knock on wood.    But it really sounds like the alternator is going to the car store above.    
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
Ifd there are no blown fuses.....and you can charge the battery back up and geter runnin for a bit......alternator poop is correct.  Just out of curiosity, what s the amp and sub setup?
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
the amp/sub was really worth all the trouble. a lightening audio 4ch amp and two pioneer 10"s. whoopie.
MECP certified installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic