icon

subwoofer problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
garcia1980 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, the system consist of:  Kenwood head unit, (wack)small EQ, a 175watt Amp(8 awg pwr wires neg&grnd), and a 12" Kicker subwoofer. The system hits real deep for one 12"  enclosed in a bandpass box. The problem is sometimes (only sometimes), when i'm driving and I step on the brake, I lose a sick amount of bass for the subwoofer.subwoofer problem - Last Post -- posted image. But when i not driving it (engine still on) and i step the brake to see if it do it again....... it doesn't. I'm thinking of checking the Negative grounds, Power wires, and RCAs, if it still dont get rid of problem maybe a Capacitor?

What do you all think?

thanks for any help!

jG
Aw1208q 
Copper - Posts: 42
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
i dont see you needing a cap, but that may not be a bad idea. when you say 8awg power wire, that is power and ground also? how long is your gorund wire and where do you have it grounded to?
foreverimmortal 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
is your amp mounted firmly?  i had a friend of mine who had the exact same problem and wanted me to look at it...turns out he had the amp floating around his trunk, so when he braked hard or took wild turns it put stress on the low-level inputs and must have stress fractured the solder on the inside, so eventually they would lose most of the connection when he braked. 
'96 Explorer Sport
Kappa Perfect speakers/subs
Profile electronics
Alpine head unit
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
Definitely check RCA connections, wiggle 'em to check for shorts, check for anyhting that might be shorting. disconnecting during braking (the G force fof it). I do doubt it is electronic, but it might be possible. I'd check everything else first. Is the HU mounted securely? Could the RCA's coming out of the back be loosening up when it shifts during braking? Keep us updated.
/NyxBass
garcia1980 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  

The amp is screwed on to my back fold-down seat (touching no metal or chasis), and the power wires to the amp are 8 awg positve, and 8 awg negg, the "ground" for the amp is grounded on the back seat belt bolt.

I will do exactly what you all said, and let know what happens!

thanks guys!subwoofer problem - Last Post -- posted image.

jG

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic