icon

Question on Setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Carbonb 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 12" JL WO's, There impendance is 4ohm, I am going to wire them in parallel and drop them to 2 ohm.
The thing is, I bought them in a prefabed JL box. I am making a fiberglass enclosure and want to wire them to 2 ohm in 2 seperate chambers.
Well the box that JL had made for the subs had a little sticker on the terminal cup. Saying that the final impendance was 4 ohm. When I went to look at how they wired the subs they had them wired parallel?
So does this mean that I cannot drop the subs to 2 ohm? I am using a Alpine MRD-301, which os 350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms.
How can I get the subs to drop to 2 ohms? So they can get more power? Since I believe they are only getting about 75W each right now. I think they can hit a lot harder than they are.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
the box uses 2 8 ohm drivers. the way it is wired now it is running the amp at 4 ohm, unless this is a 2 channel amp and you have it bridged.    the best thing to do would be to buy a new amp that is a 2 channel or one that is a class d that produces 300+ watts at 4 ohm
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Carbonb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
The box uses 2 8 ohm drivers? What the hell does that mean?
It is a mono amp that is 600W x 1 ohm, 300W x 2 ohm and 175 W x 4 ohm.
I want to wire the speakers to 2 ohm load. How is this possible if it is saying that when wired parallel the impendance is 4 ohm?
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
It is not possible. The only way you are going to get a 2ohm load is to either buy 2 more 8ohm subs or sell the ones you have and buy 2 4ohm subs.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Ya man, I am affraid you have no options avalible to you to wire those two drivers to get a final 2 ohm impedence. Your best bet is to sell them and by two subs that are single 4 ohm drivers
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Carbonb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 4:48 AM / IP Logged  
So would another choice be to get an amp that pushes 300W @ 4 ohms?
Since I don't want to buy 2 more subs since I like the ones I have, but I don't want to get a new amp... blah. I guess I"ll have to live with it :P
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
I agree w/ the above.
However, I have a follow-up question. What is your goal with this system? Do you need more max spl? Or is it a sound quality issue - not 'hitting' deep enough?
Anyway, your problem might not be power related. You do know that bumping your power from 150w to 300w will only give you a 3db rise in max SPL, right? You do know this is small, right? So, don't feel badly about not being able to run at the almighty 2ohms - you'd rarely hear the difference.
If you want louder bass (SPL), buy different woofers or a different amp. End of story. I'd probably buy different woofers.
If you want deeper bass, you might just need to redesign your box. 'Deep' bass is mostly determined by the enclosure design - NOT power.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
Good follow up KFR01, I was thinking about the same thing, and was going to recomend but you beat me to it
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Carbonb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
Ok that makes me feel a lot better. I am going for sound quality. I don't really need a lot of bass. It sounds decent I did just want it to hit deeper.
I am getting new enclosures so :P Maybe it will be better.
So I am more pleased. I think I would rather go the route of spending money to upgrade my tweeters and my stock component speakers.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  

Carbonb wrote:
I am getting new enclosures so :P Maybe it will be better.

Take time to decide which type and size box is right for the sound you want.  A hasty box decision will put you in the same place you're at now - less than completely satisfied.  Use some enclosure modeling software for the best results.  Let us know if you need help with the box design part.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic